Skip to content
Next step in treatment?
k3pet posted:
I have really bad allergies. Like, really bad allergies. It started off 2.5 years ago when I moved to a new city. It has resulted in chronic urticaria and worsening asthma. I used to break out in hives every time I took a shower before I started treatment for my allergies. While the hives have improved with medications and shots, my asthma has not. Even during specific times of the year, I end up with a viral infection brought on by excessive mucus production after an asthma attack. Even now, I can't stop coughing and my nose is excessively runny.

I am already on ridiculous doses of medications (see below), and I've been doing the shots weekly for the last 1.5 years. I honestly don't know what to do anymore besides live in a bubble. I love being active and have always been pretty athletic, but the recent issues I've been having had made that very difficult.

My current medications:
Cetirizine: 20 mg twice daily
Psudoephedrine: 120 mg twice daily
Cimetidine: 400 mg twice daily
Nasonex: 2 sprays in each nostril once daily
Astelin: 2 sprays in each nostril twice daily
Symbicort: 2 puffs twice daily
Singulair: 10 mg nightly
Proventil: 2 puffs as needed for shortness of breath

I have tried to take extra diphenhydramine on top of my current medications, but with minimal help.

I honestly don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should go from here?

choo_chu responded:
Hi,

I'm sorry the allergy shots haven't provided you with as much relief as you hoped for. Has your doctor mentioned starting Xolair? It's used to treat people who have bad allergic asthma. It's a shot you get every so often. Honestly, I never tried it because I got a ton of relief from allergy shots, but I've heard it can be really helpful. Google it and see what you think (Xolair).

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,
You sound a lot like I me a few years ago. Xolair has been very helpful for me. You may want to talk to your allergist about two other things.
1) Aspirin Exacerbated Respiratory Disease - causes impossible to control asthma without aspirin desensitization.
2) Zyflo - would replace Singulair. Instead of modifying leukotriine, this blocks the production of them. It is extremely pricey, but the manufacturer and several foundations help cover the cost.

Feel better.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 145 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center