Skip to content
When should I worry & get him to a hospital?
sandytown posted:
My live in fiancee has pretty severe asthma...has had it his whole life. He began a lot of coughing with phlegm last month and we worried he might be getting Walking Pneumonia or bronchitis or something. So he went to the ER one night when he was up all night hacking etc. They did tests etc and gave him the breathing treatment mist machine thing....nebulizer I think it's called. Gave him a steroid shot and said he was having complications from asthma....possibly from triggers at a job site he was working at. Said his normal inhaler just wasn't getting deep enough and that he didn't have an infection. That was a few weeks ago. Today he began feeling week and dizzy again and was coughing so hard he threw up. Fever 101.7. He did two breathing treatments at home...One in the morning and one in the afternoon. I worry about when to know if he should go to the hospital. We are still in the process of getting him health we don't want to tie up an emergency room. But he doesn't have a family doctor to call right now. Again, we are working on this but as of what point should I consider making him go to the hospital? I worry that he's getting pneumonia or something more serious and not having experience with asthma I'm not sure how to guage when we should just take another financial hit and go to the ER. I'm afraid for him to go to sleep and could use advice on when or how to know when his symptoms are life i have no experience with asthma. Thank you for your support!
atti_editor responded:
Hi sandytown,

These FAQs about asthma may be of help to you -- there is one that addresses when you should go to the ER for an asthma attack. If your fiance is having difficulty breathing, has chest tightness, wheezing when inhaling or exhaling, high anxiety or difficulty speaking in complete sentences, don't hesitate to bring him to the hospital or call 911.

This overview on asthma as well as this treatment and care guide may help you understand your fiance's condition more clearly and what you may be able to do to help him.

Also, here is some information on both pneumonia and bronchitis that covers the symptoms that will determine what kind of medical attention, if any, is needed.

In any case, it would probably be a good idea for your fiance to be seen by a medical professional to determine what is causing his symptoms and to get him the proper treatment. Is there a low-cost clinic or an urgent care facility in your area that will see him without insurance?

Best wishes,

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
56 of 149 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center