Skip to content
Uncontrolled exercise-induced asthma
An_256619 posted:
Hello. I have had exercise-induced asthma all my life, but only was diagnosed a few years ago. I currently take Dulera twice a day and an albuterol inhaler 30 minutes before exercise. However, I still wheeze when I really exert myself, and I am training for some long cycling rides that involve hills. Whenever I have a big hill, I end up wheezing and have to get off of my bike. I am so frustrated and don't know what to do. My doctor suggested adding a leukotriene inhibitor, but I feel like it's all a shot in the dark.

choo_chu responded:
Hi,

I don't have much problem when I cycle or swim, but I have issues when I run. What I found that works is using a little more albuterol when I run than when I ride or swim. I know my doc told me 2 puffs before running, but I use 3 puffs. If I use 2 puffs, I often have problems about an hour into my run. If I use 3 puffs, I rarely have problems unless there's a lot of pollen. If there's a lot of pollen, I add Singulair (leukotriene inhibitor) for a while, instead of increasing my albuterol. That seems to do the trick.

Another thing, the more fit you become, the harder it will be to really exert yourself. So, in time, the hills will become easier and you won't have to exert yourself so much, unless you really pick up the pace. You probably already know this, but switching to a lower gear so your cadence is higher will make the hills easier and you won't have to exert yourself so much. You can keep more of an even effort level over the duration of your ride, which will make your ride more comfortable.

Happy trails!

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 143 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center