Skip to content
Fragrance Induced Asthma and SLE/Lupus Flares
An_256682 posted:
I work at a state agency in SC (SCVRD) that has an anti-fragrance policy that they will not enforce. I have a bad asthma attack at least once a week. Now they are causing serious SLE/Lupus flares. I have had to go home, to the doctor, be put on prednisone, etc. Several asthma attacks have caused sinusitis. Some cause swelling all over my body-the full Lupus reaction with swollen glands, pain in my kidneys and lungs, etc. I have brought in all my medical documentation and have been told to avoid these perfumed people. But, they jump on the elevator or get in a stall next to me in the bathroom, and I am trapped in a small enclosed space. I carry an inhaler that is little help. It opens the airway some, but the reaction will happen. I have a honeycomb mask with carbon insert/filter, but I have been told this scares people. The supervisors I have talked to are hostile. They resent being asked to speak to their staff and don't, because the same people keep hitting me with their perfume. Why have a policy nobody follows. I am one of 4 or 5 people just on the local campus with these issues...but I am treated like the only one.

amcate responded:
What you described I've run across in another form. Don't have a good answer, except to mention the ADA and reasonable accommodations, but that can also be hard. Is SCVRD South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department? Just wondering...my state has a vocational rehab department and they are the main ones you go to to find about the ADA, so that would really ironic.

sasnig replied to amcate's response:
Yes, SCVRD is Voc. Rehab. It is very different to be a client vs. be an employee. Each time I move from one office to another, I have to start all over with new doctor excuses for accommodations... what is in my file will no longer do. They seem to harass people with disabilities. My doctors always do a double take and say...but you work at SCVRD, why am I writing yet another letter??? The people at the top have never worked cases or suffered from real disabilities, hence the why people are treated this way. I am looking for another job after 20 years with the state...(not with the state).

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center