Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anxiety vs Asthma?
yawn32 posted:
I'm wondering how to tell anxiety from what might be the development/re-occurrence of asthma. They have a lot in common: tightness and pain in the chest, shortness of breath, etc. I know I have anxiety. But I'm wondering if I also have asthma. I was diagnosed with it as a kid, but never needed the inhaler they gave me and the symptoms disappeared. That was like...20 years ago. But lately, I'm having chest tightness/pain, shortness of breath when I"m not feeling anxious and goddawful fatigue I just can't shake. I hesitate to ask my doctor, since I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and have thought I've had all kinds of things wrong with me....so I'd feel stupid asking.

atti_editor responded:
Hi yawn32,

This article lists the most common asthma symptoms, although not every person has the same symptoms, and you can have different symptoms at different times. The symptoms that you describe are part of the list, and although they could be related to your anxiety, I think that it is a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor. I don't think that you would be stupid for asking as you fear, especially because you have been diagnosed with asthma in the past. It is important that you get the proper treatment if what you are experiencing is asthma related so that you can avoid an asthma attack. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 142 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center