Skip to content
Military: How did I get Asthma?
bmurray1 posted:
I have been diagnosed with moderate to persistant asthma in February. Due to this I have been separated from the military for a disqualifying condition (through an option of a voluntary discharge). I am not allowed to join the military with asthma, I didnt have it when I joined but 9 1/2 years later I get diagnosed with it. It is a breathing problem that I have had for years, slowly felt like it was getting worse every year... thats when I went to get it checked out.

Questions that I have.

1. I contracted some nasty bronchial sickness while in bootcamp in 2004, I was sick for a few weeks on several medications while attending. I have heard this could have been something that caused me to develope my asthma. Is this factual? Where I can I get some information regarding this?

2. I was in the Navy from 2004-2008, thinking this is where I may have developed something to aggrevate the sickness. Any thoughts?

2. Is it possible to connect my asthma to my military service since I didnt have it before and now have it 9 1/2 years later?

Thank you!

Buck Murray
buckmurray1@yahoo.com

atti_editor responded:
Hi Buck,

Here is some information on asthma causes and triggers , as well as an overview of adult-onset asthma . This information may help you pinpoint or at least narrow down what triggered or caused your asthma. Some medications can trigger asthma symptoms. If the medications you were taking are not listed in the link above, you might try looking up information on them using our Drugs & Medications Center . It may also be a good idea to speak with your doctor about your asthma diagnosis and whether something from your time in the military could have triggered your symptoms.

Best wishes,
Atti

cwille responded:
hi, was just reading your post, i was in the air force for 9 years, while i was in i was a jet engine mechanic, didn't have asthma, but i did get bronchitis alot as well as allergies, i also developted excema and acid reflux, the reason i tell you this is because now almost 20 years later i developed asthma, how we can't figure it out, the docs say it could be acid reflux , could be allergies, i have the asthma real bad, i have been to the va and no help there, thankfully i have private insurance, i highly recommend you go to the va and sign up , if you haven't already, i am now trying myself to connect the asthma to my military service, i checked my med records from the military and found many times where i was sick with bronchitis and what they called allergies, so who knows. With all the chemicals that we delt with i wouldnt doubt i became allergic to a lot of things, if i where you i would try and get a copy of all my military med records, being in the navy i am sure you traveled around alot more than me, and being in the time that you where in with the wars going on , who knows, i was in during peace time, i got out in 1995. I was in during desert storm but was state side, anyway good luck and thank you for serving your country, god bless

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center