Skip to content
Bronchial Thermoplasty
mountainlust posted:
I am a 55 year old while male who is a life-long chronic asthmatic/COPD sufferer. I have met all the criteria for a bronchial thermoplasty procedure and am working to have it done at a prominent university hospital in southern California. My question to the group is what insurance companies are you with, and how long did it take to get approval? Also, how much was the cost of your procedure if you were forced to pay out of pocket (as it appears I may have to). I don't believe I have another treatment option so I am very much looking forward to the BT procedure, and your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

cwille responded:
have humana, because of the problems i had with the asthma, i was approved the first time , i guess it was cheaper to do the procedure than keep putting me in the hospital,lol , anyway, after i had the first procedure done, humana decided to deny the procedure , so i had to fight it for 4 months, so i had one 1/3 of the procedure done , finally after 4 months and much arguing i had the rest of the procedure done, it was actually a coding error that caused all the problems, incredible. i was fortunate i guess that i didn't have to pay to much out of pocket because i have been in the hospital so much this year that i have met all my co payments , deductibles and out of pocket costs, wish i could help you there, but good luck with the procedure, i truley hope you qualify and it helps you more than it did me, i have read a lot of great things about it, but i just happen to be the exception , so far, good luck.

mountainlust replied to cwille's response:
Thank you for your response. I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties. Insurance companies just seem to be problematic for lots of different reasons. I have Aetna and I've already been denied once, but we are in the process of going back to them again.

To clarify, are you saying the procedure didn't work for you? When did you have it? How long has it been? What kind of post-procedure experiences have you had that have disappointed you? I'm very interested in hearing back from you. Thank you and best of luck.

cwille replied to mountainlust's response:
I just finished the procedure at the end of april, that was the 3rd procedure, i started it in dec of last year, but because of insurance problems and a few asthma problems i finished it at the end of april, to say it hasn't worked, well i don't know i have to give it time i guess, i have read where people feel completely different after the 2nd procedure, the first procedure i ended up with bronchitis, but they gave me anibiotics and i was ok, now the second procedure i ended up in the hospital for 6 days, my left lung became inflammed and tight and i couldn't stop coughing when i woke up, i was coughing for 6 hours , my asthma is cough variant type, the third procedure was the same thing except i was in the hospitial for 7 days, now to be fair i have a muscular disease also called myasthenia gravis, i don't know if that had anything to do with it ,but i figured i would mention it. So far i don't think it has helped me, but my thinking is that i have to give it time. If in a month i don't get any better than i will know it was a waste of time for me, again i want to say for me, it might be a wonder procedure for you, i just happen to have had a bad time with it. It didn't hurt, well a little on the second and third time, but not much, oh they did intubate me during the procedure also which was because of my muscle disease, they said that it was to help with the breathing during the procedure, not sure if they do that with others ,but i seem to think that may have had something to do with my coughing upon waking up, which irritated everything else, im not sure, i do know that when i did my research before the procedure i didn't read any negative things about it, but as i went on with the procedure i started to find them, in my opinion if you have tried everything else to help your asthma and this is the last thing , like me, than i would try it, you never know. good luck

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center