Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Travel and dealing with asthma
nh786 posted:
My last to the USA was ruined by an asthma attack. Where could I as a tourist have gone for a check up.

amcate responded:
Each area of the country is different, but in my area you would go to an urgent care center. I'm not sure whether they would take the insurance you have or not....but if not, then you would pay for it out of your own pocket...usually runs a few hundred dollars in my area. If you're really in trouble and have reason to believe its life threatening, then every emergency room in the USA is required to assess you and get you stable regardless of ability to pay by the federal law. However, emergency rooms are rather expensive, and the law doesn't forbid them from trying to come back to you to get you to pay at a later date. Urgent care is less expensive, and in my area is usually staffed by doctors who are board certified in emergency medicine, so they know about asthma. However, in different geographical areas they may be staffed by others, but should still be able to provide basic asthma care. I don't know, as a tourist, if your insurance would be accepted in the urgent care centers or the emergency rooms or not.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center