Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Travel and dealing with asthma
    nh786 posted:
    My last to the USA was ruined by an asthma attack. Where could I as a tourist have gone for a check up.
    amcate responded:
    Each area of the country is different, but in my area you would go to an urgent care center. I'm not sure whether they would take the insurance you have or not....but if not, then you would pay for it out of your own pocket...usually runs a few hundred dollars in my area. If you're really in trouble and have reason to believe its life threatening, then every emergency room in the USA is required to assess you and get you stable regardless of ability to pay by the federal law. However, emergency rooms are rather expensive, and the law doesn't forbid them from trying to come back to you to get you to pay at a later date. Urgent care is less expensive, and in my area is usually staffed by doctors who are board certified in emergency medicine, so they know about asthma. However, in different geographical areas they may be staffed by others, but should still be able to provide basic asthma care. I don't know, as a tourist, if your insurance would be accepted in the urgent care centers or the emergency rooms or not.

    Helpful Tips

    Sports Asthma
    I Have sports related Asthma. I joined the Army and we ran A LOT! the more i ran the better i felt and less my asthma bothered me. i am no ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    5 of 5 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center