Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hi New Here and have some questions
barbiee88 posted:
Hi everyone.. I am 43 yrs old, the problem started about a year and a half ago I got an upper respiratory infection and my chest got tight like bronchitis and it never went away. My doctor prescribed me ventolin hfa, and I didnt feel like it was doing much, but I wasn't sure how often I was supposed to take it.. so I just took it when my chest was real tight.. Anyhow I have tightness in my chest daily, and so the Dr. prescribed advair 50/100 something like this.. and i read the warning of sudden death, and I threw it in the trash.. so now.. he has prescribed prednisone for 20 days without a taper i think 20mg a day?? does this sound normal? I don't know what to do.. I'd like relief, but I'm scared to take these medicines.

Are there other medicines that I can take that are not so dangerous? I read message boards about advair, and these people sound like it's a nightmare to be on..

wezman responded:
I have been on advair 50/500 for almost two years now and doing fine on it I would give it a try. As far as the prednisone goes some doctors prescribe it like that right now I'm on 60 Mg for 7 days. My advice would be call the pharmacy when in doubt.

amcate responded:
If you notice what triggers your asthma and avoid those things, it should help reduce your reliance on the medicines.

All risk is relative. So, you have to consider what the risk of not taking Advair 100/50 is and determine if that risk is greater than taking it. Yes, there have been deaths from it, but there have also been deaths from under treated asthma...not to mention folks who didn't die, but got neurological damage from not getting oxygen to the brain fast enough. The best person to determine the risks is your doctor, so if it were me, I would go on Advair 100/50. I've taken Advair 500/50 (same medicine, but higher dose) for over a decade and have had no problems with it, and it helps keep me breathing and makes the life threatening attacks much less common.

Advair contains both an inhaled corticosteroid and a long acting beta agonist. There are medicines that contain only the inhaled corticosteroid part, like FloVent or Qvar among others, and so they should have less risk from adverse medicine effects. You may want to ask your doctor if they think you can be controlled with these drugs instead.

The asthma drug that has the greatest long term risk is prednisone, It is much safer to take the Advair as opposed to a higher prednisone dose over time.

My doctors do a rapid taper with me, unless I've been on it for months....but some do gradual tapers with shorter treatment times. They'll normally do 40-80 mg a day for a week, then off. They told me there is less concern at this time with adrenal insufficiency with short bursts than there once was. Other than that, I don't know how to answer your question about tapering.

Hope this helps you.

christgirl1963 responded:
advair helps alot of people. all medicines like that have the risk, however, the risk is very low. they have to list it though. i have been on flovent for years without any trouble. i dont know if you have allergies also, but allergy shots or xolair will help. as far as the prednisone, my doctor said short bursts do not need to be tapered but i dont think 20 days would be considered a short burst. talk to your doctor about it. he may not have meant to put it like that. talking to the pharmcist is a good option also. there is also low dose prednisone, which is what i am currently taking. good luck and God Bless

veroctopus responded:
Barbiee, as someone who's been labelled with asthma for 20yrs, Ive tried to keep my meds to the absolute minimum. Those who say "the risks are low" are spouting drug company propaganda. The drugs steal what little nutrients you manage to eat, damage your body, etc. Ask the pharmacist for the pamphlet that goes with each medication. Read the side effects, its a long long long list with every single one.

Find a functional medicine practitioner, not just a regular MD and get them to do a nutritional profile on you.

When I feel my chest tighten, especially after a respiratory illness, I know my nutritional profile is down and start or increase my magnesium, vitamin d, msm, evening primrose, and a couple others. Ive also found a combination of Buteyko and meditation (look for Deepak Chopra's videos) with a simple So (inhale thru nose), Hum (exhale thru nose) works great on my cough, tight chest.

That said, if youre bad off enough to need the prednisone, which should be your last choice, then take them, but for the shortest possible duration. The medications are very strong, and the longer you take them, the more they damage your body and hook you into a cycle of "no option but to take them".

Its been years coming but Im slowly finding natural, supportive ways to cut out the pharma, and replace it with real food, supportive supplements, and meditation.

Helpful Tips

help to ease your asthma
been having asthma for more that 20 years, but it took some time for the right diagnostic, they were trying to cure me for alergys, and of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center