Skip to content
Breathing issues with clouded thinking.
mnr725 posted:
I recently left the hospital after staying for 4 days for sudden weakness, confusion and sudden bad headache with blurry vision.

This was 2 weeks ago and the since the day I left until today, I've had a shortness of breath and odd pressure feeling near my throat. I also have a dry cough that is worse when I speak or try to sing etc. This occurs all day and is present even when lying down. The blurry vision and headache have since resolved. However, I still have the breathing issues and do not feel 'right.'

I don't seem to have any heart burn, but I've been sitting down for very long periods since then. The only other symptoms are loose stools and slight tinnitus.

Incidentally, while in the hospital I had a lumbar puncture and CT brain/neck scan with contrast. Both were negative. I also had a non-contrast MRI and chest x-ray.
The only oddities on my blood test lately were high CO2 29 mmol/L and low Anion gap of 5 mmol/L.

My work takes me to places with unknown chemicals sometimes(searching through people's estate junkpiles). I'm wondering now, if this could be a cause and I might have possibly inhaled or ingested something by accident. I'm not sure if the standard CBC/metabolic panel would pick this up.

I've never had any previous breathing problems and I'm in good shape 6ft 167lbs 38yo. Non smoker, non drinker, non drugs.

Any ideas, recommendations or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

deluxehd responded:
Hello mnr725,

I have recently been diagnosed with mold illness (not an allergy) after being sick for 6 yrs. I'm not sure this is what you have but I am always looking to help someone. Check out this website: http://www.survivingmold.com/mold-symptoms I developed severe persistent asthma after being exposed and my immune system continued to get worse until treatment was started. Good luck, Debbie.

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 143 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center