Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
crackling in my lungs?
tulib33 posted:
Hi, ive had mild asthma for over 10 years, it has been pretty under control, in the last 6 months ive had many colds, i just assumed because of school and being in a dental program we are always going into eachothers mouths...gross, i know. over the last few days ive had a pretty bad deep cough and sometimes coughing up clear mucus. i also have a kindof crackling sound when i exhale, any idea what it might be? do i need to see a doctor for this? thanks

sgbl88 responded:
Sounds like mucus plugs to me. I get them every time I get a cold (and occassionally when I don't). Since the mucus is clear, there is probably no infection at this point. If the color changes or you start running a fever, you should see a dr. You may want to try some OTC guaifenesen (sp?)(Musinex) which is an expectorant (thins the mucus so that it can be cleared more easily) and drink PLENTY of water.

You may want to boost your immune system with some Airborne OR zinc, ecchinacea and vitamin C. Just a thought.

Aqua14 responded:
I would go see a doctor ASAP. Crackles in the lungs are a sign of increased inflammation and as you know from having asthma, lung inflammation needs to be controlled. You may need prednisone or antibiotics if the doctor thinks you have an infection like bronchitis or pneumonia. I would not ignore it or monkey around wasting time with home remedies, I would get into the doctor ASAP before your lungs get worse.

The only time I have had lung crackles was when I had the true flu last April that turned into bronchitis. It was horrible and took me a long time to recover from that. Hopefully you can get a jump on this asthma flare and get it under control quickly under your doctor's care.

Just my 2 cents' worth. Hope it helps. Judy

Helpful Tips

Remember to clean your rescue inhalerExpert
For patients using albuterol rescue inhalers, remember to wash the mouthpiece as directed. The typical recommendation is washing it once ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center