Skip to content
Replacement for Drixoral
cneptune posted:
I get allergies in the spring and fall. I live in south jersey and for the last two weeks my pollen allergies have been absolutely horrible. I use to take Drixoral allergy medication and it doe not seem to be available anymore. I am currently taking sudafed and allavert-d with no sucess. Is there any medication that is similar to drixoral? The active ingredients are Dexbrompheniramine Maleate Pseudoephedrine Sulfate.

4ever2; responded:
I asked a pharmacist for a Drixoral substitute and said I'd only buy a med with pseudoephedrine. I ended up with Mucus Relief D but it only contains 40 mg. Too bad Sudafed didn't work for you as I recently bought Walmart's Equate brand 12-Hour Nasal Decongestant--the Sudafed 12-hour equivalent--which contains 120 mg. If you're wealthy, you can buy Drixoral online from Canada.

sgbl88 responded:
Have you asked your pharmacist? By federal law, there are restrictions on the amount of pseudoephedrine that a person can buy in 1 month. All pseudoephedrine products are now behind the counter, and you have to show ID and sign to purchase them. The law is designed to make it harder to run a meth lab in the United States.

abbymay16 responded:
Depends on where you live. In Oregon Pseudoephedrine is by prescription ONLY and the docs are refusing to write out the scripts due to the meth association.

Mattie

Aqua14 responded:
You could try Zyrtec-D, which has the "old" Sudafed in it, and you take it twice a day. (It's also generic and sold OTC, although it's behind the pharmacy counter in many states.) Many people find Zyrtec and Zyrtec-D extremely effective, more so than Alavert (which is another brand name for Claritin [loratadine>). At times I do take Zyrtec-D and find it to be wonderful, but everyone's different.

In searching around a bit I found that a med chemically related to Drixoral, brompheniramine, is still sold as Dimetapp, but apparently only in a children's dosage. If you wanted to try it, you should ask the pharmacist whether you can take this, and what an adult dosage would be.

Anyhow, hope these suggestions are helpful to you. Take care & good luck. Judy

Moetsch responded:
Wow. All posts on this page are 4 years old. Go figure, you can beat a dead horse for so long. I've been uninformed BUT recently I found some Drixoral as old as 2005 and have been impressed that it, and only it, relives my symptoms like no substitute can. I have written my congressman/woman and the Pres. of the USA, and the FDA. Here's what I wrote:

Please do not give me a generic answer:

Hello, my name is Matt Casey and I am writing regarding the allergy medication Drixoral. Years ago and after going through a myriad of allergy medications my doctor found one that relieved my allergies, Drixoral. It is my understanding that Drixoral has been indefinitely discontinued because one of its ingredients, pseudoephedrine, can be used to make methamphetamine. Since then once again I am going through the process of trying different allergy medicines. None work satisfactorily and I suffer frequently as a result. Recently I found some old Drixoral and have been taking it. Even though it expired years ago it still works. I had forgotten what it was like to be allergy free. The fact that Drixoral has been pulled off the market and no suitable substitute is available is a problem not only for me but for many, many others. I have been on several user forums and know that others still suffer with no relief or suggested alternatives. Supposedly Drixoral is available from other, questionable sources. I have not tried any of these yet but probably will soon. This puts me at risk of getting bad medicine. I don't understand why Drixoral can't be prescribed and regulated like other controlled substances. Is there anything that you can do?

I got a generic response from two of my local Congressman/woman.

Allow me to be more succinct/direct:

It is my understanding that Drixoral has been indefinitely discontinued because one of its ingredients, pseudoephedrine, can be used to make methamphetamine.

In other words, the product was not due to safety concerns but rather concerns that criminals could misuse the product.

It is the only one that works effectively to relieve me of my medical symptoms. I've been suffering with my allergies ever since they pulled the product. Though others help, they do not relieve my symptoms. I've been ok with this until I found some Drixoral as old as 2005. They still work.

Can you tell me why Drixoral was pulled from the market? If it is because criminals were misusing it, I don't understand why it can't be a controlled substance, like other medicines.

I would appreciate a personal response that addresses my issue, and is of the same concern of many others who's symptoms are not adequately controlled by replacement products.

Thank you,

Matt Casey

Moetsch replied to 4ever2;'s response:
Wow. All posts on this page are 4 years old. Go figure, you can beat a dead horse for so long. I've been uninformed BUT recently I found some Drixoral as old as 2005 and have been impressed that it, and only it, relives my symptoms like no substitute can. I have written my congressman/woman and the Pres. of the USA, and the FDA. Here's what I wrote:

Hello, my name is Matt Casey and I am writing regarding the allergy medication Drixoral. Years ago and after going through a myriad of allergy medications my doctor found one that relieved my allergies, Drixoral. It is my understanding that Drixoral has been indefinitely discontinued because one of its ingredients, pseudoephedrine, can be used to make methamphetamine. Since then once again I am going through the process of trying different allergy medicines. None work satisfactorily and I suffer frequently as a result. Recently I found some old Drixoral and have been taking it. Even though it expired years ago it still works. I had forgotten what it was like to be allergy free. The fact that Drixoral has been pulled off the market and no suitable substitute is available is a problem not only for me but for many, many others. I have been on several user forums and know that others still suffer with no relief or suggested alternatives. Supposedly Drixoral is available from other, questionable sources. I have not tried any of these yet but probably will soon. This puts me at risk of getting bad medicine. I don't understand why Drixoral can't be prescribed and regulated like other controlled substances. Is there anything that you can do?

It is my understanding that Drixoral has been indefinitely discontinued because one of its ingredients, pseudoephedrine, can be used to make methamphetamine.

In other words, the product was not due to safety concerns but rather concerns that criminals could misuse the product.

It is the only one that works effectively to relieve me of my medical symptoms. I've been suffering with my allergies ever since they pulled the product. Though others help, they do not relieve my symptoms. I've been ok with this until I found some Drixoral as old as 2005. They still work.

Can you tell me why Drixoral was pulled from the market? If it is because criminals were misusing it, I don't understand why it can't be a controlled substance, like other medicines.

I would appreciate a personal response that addresses my issue, and is of the same concern of many others who's symptoms are not adequately controlled by replacement products.

Thank you,

Matt Casey

Moetsch replied to sgbl88's response:

Thank you,

Matt Casey

Moetsch replied to abbymay16's response:

Thank you,

Matt Casey

Moetsch replied to Aqua14's response:

Thank you,

Matt Casey

dmayhoutx responded:
A new company is going to begin selling a product called DAXOPHED-D Tablets, which has the identical ingredients as Drixoral Tablets, starting in October 2014. The company is KVK-Tech,Inc. and I talked to one of their sales representatives about a month ago at a pharmacy meeting. Relief may be just 3 or 4 months away.

christgirl1963 responded:
there are regular allergy shots and a medicine called xolair. I have bad allergies that also affect my asthma. I can not take the regular allergy shots because of that but I take the xolair. It helps alot. It is expensive. Thank God I have insurance. Talk to your allergist. good luck and God Bless

veroctopus responded:
I take a supplement called MSM (METHYL SULFONYL METHANE) and its helped massively with my allergies. 10 yrs ago before I started on MSM i tested with over 30 different allergens (everything from grass to cats) after one year of taking this supplement I only tested for 3 (three!!) Since then I just take one a day (most days) and Im rarely bothered by any allergies.

Helpful Tips

excercise
have been working out and it seems to help me More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center