Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Asthma triggers
skimomof5 posted:
I was recently diagnosed with asthma, at age 50 (!), and wondered if a frozen coffee drink could actually trigger an attack. It seems as though the last few I had sent me into a coughing fit and I needed to use my inhaler. This may seem like a silly question but I really know nothing about this. Having 5 kids you'd think I would have encountered it somewhere along the line! Thanks.

Aqua14 responded:
Hi there,

I believe that there's been a previous discussion about this on either this or the adult asthma support board -- yes, some asthmatics are triggered by cold drinks. (You can search these boards to read the other post.) On the other hand, it seems curious that a coffee drink would trigger asthma symptoms. Caffeine, in coffee, is related to an older asthma drug (theophylline), and thus some asthmatics get a mild bronchodilating effect from drinking coffee. (I have even noticed this effect with diet Pepsi.)

Also, if you have acid reflux, coffee is a reflux trigger, so when you drink the frozen coffee drink it could cause acid to reflux and irritate your lungs, resulting in asthma-like symptoms.

The other suggestion would be to find out what specific ingredients are in the frozen coffee drink. It could contain unusual ingredients like soy, or other substances to which you could be sensitive. It's a long shot but worth finding out, just in case.

Hopefully my 2 cents' worth helps. Take care & good luck. Judy

abbymay16 responded:
I was curious so I googled --asthma triggered by cold drink-- and found quite a few postings. Included this link as it seems you are not alone.

www.dailystrength.org/c/Asthma/forum/2249321-cold-drinks

Cold air is a known trigger for asthmatics, so perhaps the cold from the drink is having the same effect? Judy had a a good point about the content of your coffee and perhaps an allergen lurking in the mixture.

I have adult onset asthma as well. Mine was diagnosed at 40.

Mattie

coughy16 responded:
Hi, I was diagnosed in my 40's. I have issues with really cold things, but only certain ones. For example I love ice. I fill my glass with ice & then add whatever I 'm drinking. I can drink these icy drinks with no problem, but give me a slurpee, ice cream, milkshake, or any frozen drink & I will cough my head off. And I am not really affected by cold weather unless I'm already having problems. The good news for me is these coughing attacks are usually fairly shortlived.

ginatln responded:
Adult on-set asthma is becoming a very common thing, I've also heard that many women going through menopause will suddenly develop asthma. I know hormonal changes can trigger asthma attacks. As far as the coffee drink, as others have mentioned, it may be the cold or perhaps a particular ingredient that you may be sensitive to. I have exercise-induced asthma and I find that the cold air and cold drinks in general really bother me and start me on a coughing fit. Make sure you take care of yourself! Having 5 kids and asthma can definitely take a toll on the body! Asthma can get worse especially if you're not taking good care of yourself. I'd suggest talking to your doctor more and trying to figure out what's triggering your asthma. Best of Luck!

Gina

SpringMember responded:
Good to know I am not the only one with this problem. Frozen drinks with something white... like soy or milk just about do me in. I never knew anyone suffered from this problem... but then I didn' t know it was related to my having asthma either until now. Thank you all!

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center