Skip to content
severe back pain/ trouble breathing
hillmarie posted:
Hi!

So for the past 3 or 4 days, I've been having really severe upper back pain everytime I try to take a deep breath...I have asthma, but its well controlled here lately. I've also been having a little chest pain when I breathe, shortness of breath, extreme exhaustion, and a bad headache/body aches...I almost thought it was the flu, but I haven't had a fever at all. Has anyone ever been through this? What could be causing the breathing troubles?

sgbl88 responded:
I strongly suggest a trip to the dr. There are a lot of things that can cause the symptoms you describe.

I rarely run a fever even with massive infections (per cbc test). When I do run one, it stays well below 100. So I don't take the absence of a fever as a sign of not being sick. That could just be me though. I have learned to make my dr's office run a cbc.

Allergies could also be causing an asthma flare this time of year.

The severe upper back pain when taking a deep breath could be a number of things, but coming from someone who dislocated a rib over and year ago and didn't get a propper diagnosis for 8 months, have it checked out!!!! It only makes treatmnet that much more difficult. I did have chest x-rays and a rib detail done in the first 3 months, but it didn't show up on them.

Well, that is my two cents worht. Feel better soon.

Sonya

Aqua14 responded:
I agree -- call your doctor and get seen ASAP today. Regardless of what illness is flaring your asthma, you need to get on top of it right away. The extreme exhaustion coupled with the pain and SOB would worry me a lot, and since it's persisted for 3-4 days, it's time to seek urgent medical care just as soon as you can.

Good luck to you. Judy

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 143 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center