One of my nephew's friends committed suicide last Wednesday
and I think he's handling it pretty well all things considered. He talks
about him and cries about him. I let him talk and cry and try to
comfort him, He has Asperger's, I don't think they were close at all
but I guess that doesn't matter to him. I'm not sure what else to do
or how to talk to him, Any suggestions?

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Aspieaunt,

I am so very sorry to hear that your nephew is dealing with losing a friend to suicide. Even without Asperger's, coping with all the different emotions you go through when someone you care about takes their own life is very difficult.

I have dealt with several suicides in my family, so I can tell you from experience that there can be anger, blame, sadness, confusion, and even shame that goes along with all the normal process of mourning. It is a lot to handle, but hard to express your feelings.

Hopeline is a wonderful resource that I would recommend for any survivors of suicide or for educating yourself on suicide warning signs. They are the owners of the 1-800-SUICIDE crisis hotline (which you may also have your nephew call for support)

I would also encourage you to participate in our Depression Community where they have a health expert and a community focused on these subjects.

Take care, and please keep us updated.

Andie

Spotlight: Member Stories

when my son was 5 he started school the 2nd day of school i was called up to the school because he hit his teacher by the time I got there he was curl...More

Helpful Tips

Mom of 21 year old with PDD/Aspergers
I know that when my son was young I would have loved to hear this. He is now in a four year college and doing okay. Not great but okay. He ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.