Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
2 yr old son newly diagnosed; family history
ChasesMommy08 posted:
Hello, I am new to this board but have been following it for a while. I have 3 sons - all on the spectrum. My youngest son (age 2) was just diagnosed yesterday. He only had 6 of the 12 'markers' of Autism and I'm hoping will make great progress with EI. The team that diagnosed him were optimistic too, which is good. My oldest son (age 14) was born 14 wks early and has multiple handicaps, but primarily Autism and Cerebral Palsy. He is confined to a wheelchair, diapers, and does not speak. He started having Autism-related seizures last year, which were frightening but are now being managed with meds. His Autism is 'classic' and fairly severe. My middle son (age 12) was diagnosed with Asperger's and ADD 2 yrs ago - he is considered 'high-functioning'. This most recent diagnosis of my 2 yr old precious boy has hit me and my husband particularly hard. We have no family history on either side and now Autism is just showing up in our little family in every child for some reason. We have no plans to have more children since we clearly have our hands full. Anyway, I feel the need to reach out to someone for support and thank you all in advance. We have been proactive in getting doctors, therapists, and Early Intervention involved and will continue to do so but any suggestions you have as far as resources, helpful books, etc. are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Brixter1 responded:
Hello,I have Aspergers and i am 25 almost 26 and i also have ADHD and my psychiatrist put me on Strattera for my ADHD and it really works and i see a therapist at least once a month. To come up with a plan for my conditions so i can better function in the workplace. i know my mother can sympathize with you as well. She told me that she could write a book detailing my experiences in my early childhood.
Dylan

Indiaguerita responded:
Wow...you certainly do have your hands full.

Welcome to the boards...My son Raymond was diagnosed in 2009 with Autism and he is not almost five years old.

He does not have seizures but does having staring spells that we are seeing a neurologist about.

I'm glad you posted and it's nice to "meet" you. Hope you stick around. It will be nice to hear about how you handle your daily routine and I bet you have some great tips for us.

What signs does your youngest show that made you have him tested?

On a sidenote, I have to neurotypical children who are ages six and almost four.

-Laura

charleygood responded:
Stay connected to as many communities of loving people as possible. Do you have a church/temple/faith community? That helps keep all of you grounded. I have an older child in college with A.S. and he was a total handfull when younger. Somehow, patience, a strong family life, and the passage of time really helped. Blessings to you.

ChasesMommy08 replied to Indiaguerita's response:
Hi Laura,
Thanks for responding. Our youngest, Chase, developed normally as a baby until we noticed he was behind with his gross motor development around his 1st birthday. He was 'commando' crawling but not yet 4 pt. crawling not to mention no walking. I got him into Early Intervention at that time. As the months went by, we noticed delays in other areas, such as speech and fine motor. He has a female cousin his age, and their differences in development got painfully further & further apart. He has always been very affectionate, does give us eye contact most of the time, responds to his name, etc. but just does not speak although he can understand some things we say to him. I was hoping it was a hearing loss issue because he did have problems with his ears, but those have been fixed with tubes, and we know his hearing is normal. He does not have any sensory issues other than being picky with food. At the very least, I thought he would be diagnosed with PDD-NOS. He does sit and rock as a means of comfort when he's tired or bored, which does concern us, but he can be easily redirected. So far, he is not the least bit aggessive, self-injurous, or prone to tantrums, but he is only 2! His psychologist who tested him said he would not sustain back and forth play with her for very long and was not up to age level for social interaction.

What made you decide to have Raymond tested? Are your other children boys or girls? I have read that Autism is 4 times more likely in boys. Great, so far, we're batting 100%!!

Thanks again for responding,

-Tami

ChasesMommy08 replied to charleygood's response:
Unfortunately, we don't have much of a support system where we live. Both of our families live out of state; we do have a good church community, but everyone there has 'normal' kids, so they can't really relate to our situation. We have been hanging in there and try to get support at least by phone thru our families. You're right, staying connected really helps, which is my primary reason for joining this group as well! I really appreciate hearing about a good outcome for a child with A.S. - this gives us much hope for our middle son. He appears to be very gifted in art and computer graphics; even his teachers have been blown away by his work in these areas over the years. Thanks again for your supportive words.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Our son is 6 1/2 years old and was diagnosed with pdd-nos and mood disorder nos at 2 years old. We also have two other boys ages five and four. PDD-NO...More

Helpful Tips

weight compression vests for calming child
check out site www.autisticvest.com a full 4 pounds of weight in secure pockets sleek vest looks and feels like clothing. "No boxey" ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.