Skip to content
Eye Contact
HMJ5678 posted:
When discussing eye contact, what are the guidelines for saying yes they are making eye contact. What I mean is: my son when lying down on his changing table, lying down on his play gym mat, etc. will look at you and giggle, smile, stare right at you. But if you pick him up or put him in your lap and try to get him to look at you it is like your not even there. He looks all around and won't look at you. If you get in his line of vision he looks away.

So, I get uneasy about it. He is 4 1/2 months. He has been making eye contact since he was born, but I noticed more recently that he will do what I described above. So, since he will make eye contact and he will engage and listen and stare at you are certain times, does this mean he has passed this milestone? Should I worry that there are times when he won't make eye contact?

Tonight I was trying to introduce cereal and he wouldn't look at me to save his life I am guessing it is because he did not like what I was doing.

I worked with autistic children and it is so hard not to put your own children under the magnifying glass. I have been really stressing over this. Can anyone tell me whether I should have any concern or whether eye contact with autism is much different.

Thank you.

Indiaguerita responded:
I think he is way too young to be thinking about eye-contact. He's probably just fascinated with the other stuff around him.

There aren't any guidelines for eye-contact. My son has eye-contact with me.

I have read that for it to be considered Autism, the eye-contact that they have is non-productive or not meaningful. If he's staring right at you but isn't accomplishing anything by staring at you - then that is not eye contact. If he's looking at you and starts babbling at you...then that would be considered meaningful eye contact....as he is trying to actually engage you....rather than just staring at you or past you.

-Laura

HMJ5678 replied to Indiaguerita's response:
Thank you for you response. I understand what you are saying. I know he is young. I am trying not worry over this. Just sometimes you do! Thanks again.

Indiaguerita replied to HMJ5678's response:
No worries. Does he have other things that you think "aren't right?"

-LJ

HMJ5678 replied to Indiaguerita's response:
No, not really. He seems to be otherwise happy and healthy. He loves to smile and giggle at you. He screeches at his toys and he follows me around a room like a hawk. He definitely knows who I am and tracks me. It is just hard when he is being help, because I will hold him to talk to him and play and he won't ldok at me. Or if he is being held and grandma talks to him who he knows well, he will still look around and just won't give eye contact.

I guess my main concerns or worry is whether he needs to always be able to provide eye contact and recognize familiar people/voices or if he does it most of the time or in certain situations is the indicative that he is doing just fine.

Thank you again.

Indiaguerita replied to HMJ5678's response:
Sounds like he's just a curious kiddo. I wouldn't worry about anything yet. It's pretty early in the game to worry about Autism. If he had symptoms, I might be a little concerned but it sounds like he is fine.

No worries...I enjoy helping if I can.

-Laura

chellrw responded:
Hi there, I know you wrote this years ago but if you still check this from time to time could you please tell me how your child is now? My 5 1/2 month old son is doing exactly the same things that yours was and I also worked with spectrum kids in the past...I'm very concerned and the doctors just tell me it is too early to know. Please let me know if you get this. Thank you

Spotlight: Member Stories

Iam living alone with a husband with aspergers, it is hell. He wont accept he has it have been here 30 years but cant cary on i am so alone. He makes...More

Helpful Tips

Art and Autism
My 13 year old daughter has Autism and Art has been a wonderful outlet for her. It allows her to express herself in a positive way and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.