Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Should authorities (officers of the law ) arrest a autistic child for pinching someone in school?
An_189791 posted:
Afriend of mine has a seventeen yr old autistic with mild mental retardation...was arrested in school for pinching another child today and was charged with simple battery and obstruction...is that how we are to disipline our autistic children...

motherofrob responded:
Seems a little harsh to me.

aliciasgrandma responded:
That is what has happened with my granddaughter, for pushing a caretaker ( no Injury) but when the police arrived she tried to run away. She is 21 so they took her away to jail. She also had to go to court and pay a fine. She has no income. And now her fine is much more. and she has to return to court. If she cannot pay this time they will put her in jail. I am a very worried grandmother very many miles away. Apparently that is exactly how society is dealing with the autistic young adult. What can be done?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to aliciasgrandma's response:
This resource may offer some assistance, Autism Cares . It does not specifically list help with legal problems, but they may be able to direct you where to go for assistance with these issues.

See the FAQ page for a phone number.

Hope this is helpful,
Elizabeth

Spotlight: Member Stories

~*~Art and Autism~*~ My 13 year old daughter has Autism and Art has been a wonderful outlet for her. It allows her to express herself in a positive wa...More

Helpful Tips

Just Wondering
For 6 years it was assumed that my daughter had ADD, however none of the meds. ever worked that well. She is now 13 and after some research ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.