Skip to content
Autism
bluemoon_46 posted:
I have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter who was recently diagnosed with autism. At around 18 months old she all of a sudden stopped sleeping. We would maybe be able to get her to have a 45min nap in the morning, other than that she never slept. I have started giving her a small amount of melatonin before bed, which has helped to get her to sleep, but she wakes up all night long screaming.
I am wondering if this is normal and if anyone else has gone through the same thing with their child on the spectrum?
Thanks in advance.

Indiaguerita responded:
Yes...I went through that. Keep giving her the Melatonin. We have given our four year old Melatonin since he was two. We use the 3 mg dosage for him and it works wonders.

Hang in there...you're not alone. I've been through what you're going through. I promise you that it does get easier.

-Laura

bluemoon_46 replied to Indiaguerita's response:
Thank you so much Laura!! We have been giving her half the 3mg of Melatonin but I going to ask her Dr next week about giving her the full 3mg's.

Jackie

Indiaguerita replied to bluemoon_46's response:
No problem. Stay in touch through the boards and let me know what the doctor says and how it goes for you.

-Laura

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full time mom of four and a part time pediatric dietitian at a local health department. I love my children - they are all awesome people. My ol...More

Helpful Tips

Advice for my Autistic 3 year old
I have a beautiful 3 year old boy, Roy. We found out last year that he is autistic. I could really use help dealing with it. He has 3 other ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 30 found this helpful