Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bedwetting
4fitzpatricks posted:
Does anyone have any tips/tricks to aid in bedwetting?
My 7 yr old aspie w/low tone/sensory doesn't seem to be getting it.
I think he is too reliant on the"over nite" style pants. He doesn't wake up to go unless I get up to force him to. When he has an accident we don't want to make him feel embarassed or like he didi anything wrong. This is the final major hurdle that we have to cross with him.

motherofrob responded:
Oh man this was such a big issue for us. Potty training took so long for us to accomplish. I didnt chatize my son accidents.

raeftj responded:
I have a 9 year old that still wets the bed. His peditrian told me his brain just hasnt clicked yet. I started a reward chart for him. Each night he is dry we add a sticker. I started with 50 slots and he chooses the reward as long as we both agree.

I dont make a big deal over the issue as it tends to stress him out more. And he has more accidents but hides the overnights in different places. If he has an accident, he is responsible for all clean up.

LDanuloff responded:

I work with the Enuresis Treatment Center, which deals only with bedwetting cases. We know the shame and prolonged suffering bedwetters endure.

We have treated thousands of children, teenagers, and adult bedwetters, tracking all related symptoms. Our extensive research validates bedwetting as a problem caused by abnormally deep sleep, which doesn't allow for the bedwetter's brain and bladder to connect so they can effectively respond to each other.

In 99% of all bedwetting cases, (based upon our research of tens of thousands of documented cases) the root cause is sleeping so deeply. It is an inherited deep-sleep disorder that results in bedwetting and more importantly...a fragmented, non-restorative, sleep.

This compromised sleep can also result in daytime symptoms; difficulty awakening, fatigue, memory difficulty, irritability, difficulty concentrating. These symptoms can increase as a bedwetter reaches adulthood, yes bedwetting can continue into adulthood.

There is No guaranteed that someone will outgrow bedwetting, in fact after the age of seven, it is less likely. 1 in 50 teenagers, as well as 3.2 million reported cases of adults still wet the bed. More importantly, if someone were to outgrow this problem, they are then left with a sleep disorder, along with possible challenging symptoms that can no longer be treated.

Proper treatment is never simple. Many medical professionals misinform patients when they blame a small bladder as the cause of bedwetting. It is actually a RESULT of the bedwetting. Moreover, restricting fluids causes further underdevelopment of the bladder, as well as dehydration. Rewarding a child for a dry night only brings confusion and gives everyone the impression that the child has some control over the bedwetting.

Psychological counseling has not been proven to end bedwetting. Neither has hypnosis, chiropractic care or homeopathic remedies.

For 36 years, the Enuresis Treatment Center has been ending bedwetting for children, teenagers, and adults who thought there was no hope. Our research and experience has validated that bedwetting can be treated without drugs or invasive surgery.

The internet offers a great deal of information about bedwetting, unfortunately most of it is offered from sources that do not specialize in bedwetting treatment. When researching treatment programs, we suggest parents, or an adult seeking help, ask for references and check staff credentials. This will give better insight as to experience, success and lasting results of a bedwetting treatment program. Please visit their website for more information. www.nobedwetting.com

Sincerely,
Lyle Danuloff, Ph.D.
www.nobedwetting.com

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a mother of two grown sons, have a great daughter-in-law, granddaughter and grandson. I have fibromyalgia and by the early/mid 90's tha...More

Helpful Tips

weight compression vests for calming child
check out site www.autisticvest.com a full 4 pounds of weight in secure pockets sleek vest looks and feels like clothing. "No boxey" ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.