Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How Did You Realize UR Child had Autism and When
worried_mom_2011 posted:
I am very concerned of my 21 month old son. He doesnt tallk, he rarely says-mama, dada, baba, no, ball, and truck but that comes out "fa". he wont say anything else, sometimes if we work really hard we can get a "ank oo" (thank you). He doesnt really have any interest in others, but sometimes he will watch people from a distance. He stares a lot, especially out the window in the car. he will play with his 4 year old brother sometimes, especially if they are chasing each other in circles. There are so many things that worry me, but then while do research there are things that he does that are opposite of autism signs. I have been trying to call a place to get him tested all last week and left messages andthey havent called, and his dr is a health dpt. dr that is overloaded and busy and rushes his patients out so i have been working on finding a new one. If i could get some opinions or advice of others i would really appreciate it, I am worried and dont know if i should try harder to get him tested or if i am just overreacting.
Thank you for your time!!!

Indiaguerita responded:
Here's how I realized that there was something a little different about middle baby.

-Wouldn't make eye contact
-Wouldn't parallel play
-Became very upset for no apparent reason
-Became very upset with strangers or new places
-Became very upset if his routine was altered in any way
-Wouldn't eat any food except peanut butter and jelly
-Would not play with his siblings or other children
-Would scream day and night
-Did not sleep for more than 10 minutes at any time
-Lined things up repetitively
-Delay in speech
-Echolalia (repeating words or phrases)
-Self injures
-Head bangs
-Hand flapping
-Possibly has absence seizures
-Laughs inappropriately
-Does not play with "normal" toys (ie: Hangers...broom...strings...)

My son is of normal intelligence and with the right therapy he has above-average speech for a child his age.

Now...I have some questions for you. Do you see any of the things that I mentioned in your own son? Does he walk on his tip toes? Does he show you affection? Does he have a flat or monotone voice? Are his emotions appropriate to the situation? (ie: Does he laugh for no reason?)

If he does any of those things...it's time to get a consultation with a pediatric pyschologist.

Just remember that no matter the diagnosis is - there's always a support group out there with other mothers in the same situation as you. You're not alone.

-Laura

motherofrob responded:
I would definetly say that the clues for us that our son were the lack of eye contact, speech delay and toe walking. When my son was 2 we had eight. One of which was "oh Sh---" thank you to my brother for that one. My son was also a crazy man who is very sensory seeking even to this day.

Brixter1 replied to motherofrob's response:
I agree i can tell you from my personal experience that i aslso had a problem with eye contact and i still do and i also repeat certain phrases and i also have a hard time verbalizing my feelings and i also have a hard time reading people. I am working on both of those i hope and pray that Worried Mom will find out if her son is autistic and India i wholeheartedly agree with you as well. Good luck
Dylan

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Aspergers 2 years ago. I am almost 26 yrs old.

Helpful Tips

Mom of 21 year old with PDD/Aspergers
I know that when my son was young I would have loved to hear this. He is now in a four year college and doing okay. Not great but okay. He ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.