Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Aspegers/High Functioning Autism & ADHD
Fesser98Sp posted:
My 10 year old son has been diagnosed as higher functioning autistic and has ADHD. I am looking for any information on the disorders together, I can find loads of autism info and loads of ADHD info but nothing that discusses how the two disorders interact with each other. My current concern is that he has more autistic behaviors while on his ADHD med, but off his med he has no attention span at all. Also I would like to know what to expect as he gets older. If anyone knows of any good resources or if there are any experts that start putting out that kind of info it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

Brixter1 responded:
I agree and i also have both of those conditions and i am on meds as well. I have the same problems as your son and i would like to have information as well. I feel like there are not enough resources out there to help me or your so. In my humble opinion i wish there was some resources out there that could help me battle my own personal demons with Aspergers and ADHD.
Dylan

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and Welcome Fesser98Sp,

You and Dylan are correct, it is hard to find info on the correlation of these two disorders when so many of the symptoms can overlap.

Some info is pretty clinical, but may give you resources to look further and some references for your sons medical/treatment providers -

Helping the Hyperactive Child: When Autism Looks Like ADHD

ADHD Symtoms in the Autism Spectrum Disorder

Autism (ASD) and ADHD: Overlap and Comorbidity

Autism Books - The Autism ADHD Connection

Also, searching Medscape , using the "All" feature will bring up journal publications linked on Medline. Please know some of the above links are not WebMD sites, so content can not be guaranteed.

Please let me know if this is helpful,
Elizabeth

Spotlight: Member Stories

My daughter is now 10 at age 6 she was dionosed with Asperger's Syndrome.let me explain a few things first,she was developementally delayed as a b...More

Helpful Tips

ipods for autism
I am an autism specific teacher and this year have made huge language strides using ipods. Check out this video about my students. ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.