Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
2 yo and odd behaviors
momto3and1onway posted:
Hi everyone!

I come here expressing concerns that I have actually had for quite some time now since my son was born. I have fought with myself and my inner instinct for a while. First of all he has always did a weird eye rolling thing....this is especially apparent when someone tries to give him attention in any way or talks to him. He doesnt do it as much with me, but with people that he doesnt interact with as much. He also does not like to be approached and hugged or cuddled unless he wants to do it on his own. He does not give kisses/hugs and turns his head to avoid eye contact. He does look me in the eyes at times but very short periods of time. He was saying words like "Thank You" but have not heard that in a month. He says "choo-choo" now. A lot of words I was hearing months ago I no longer here. He talks constantly but it is all mumble-jumble. He does play well with other children, however he "screams" very high pitched all the time if his brother comes near him. He walked and hit all his milestones on time. He does point to things and knows what I tell him.I am concerned mostly with the eye rolling as I'm not sure if this is neurological or autism? Thanks in advance for any similar stories/advice! I see his pediatrician on May 4 for 2yo well check and not sure how to approach him with this......he seems very non-chalant about things sometimes and I hope he takes me serious!

Indiaguerita responded:
Welcome to the boards! I have a five year old who was diagnosed with Autism two years ago.

Let me ask you a couple of questions...

-Does he play with other children?
-Does he play with toys in a "normal" manner? (Not staring at parts or spinning the wheels.)

-Does he have repetitive speech?
-Does he have speech that does not quite make sense at times? (For example: If you ask him old he is and his response is: I like dogs.)

-Does he laugh inappropriately or cry for no apparent reason?

-Does he dislike changes in routine?

-Does he stack/line up objects?

-Does he have an unusual fascination with things that are not toys? (ie: Strings...hangers...sticks?)

-Does he have an obsession about any one thing? (Dora...Thomas the Train..Dinosaurs?)

-Does he hand-flap? Does he toe-walk?

-Does it seem like sometimes he can't "hear" you...or no matter how hard you try to get his attention he "ignores" you or seems like he's just in his own world?

If the answer is yes to some of those questions...I think it's time for an evaluation from your pediatrician. If you can catch these behaviors on video...that's a great tool to take with you to the doctor's visit.

If you have a gut feeling that something is wrong...then something is probably not quite right. Trust your instincts.

Again...welcome to the board!

-Laura

momto3and1onway replied to Indiaguerita's response:
Thank you Laura! Yes too many of these questions! Stacking objects yes! Hand flapping (which i just noticed tonight) thought it was normal....YES! Avoiding me....YES! Screams ALOT!
He does play with other children however......but enjoys mostly running around in circles with them. He also really like my broom, stacking cans of cat food, ect. Also does not want to sleep with us......prefers to be in his own bed and did not sleep through the night until 18 months old. I did take video tonight of his behavior and will be taking it to the pediatrician on Wednesday. Thanks for the information!

Indiaguerita replied to momto3and1onway's response:
Good deal. Keep me updated (if you want) on what your pediatrician says.

The faster you get the diagnosis, the faster you can get treatments and therapy for him.

You're not alone. Just remember that. I lurk on this board all the time.

-Laura

Spotlight: Member Stories

Have Asperger syndrome and encopresis.

Helpful Tips

weight compression vests for calming child
check out site www.autisticvest.com a full 4 pounds of weight in secure pockets sleek vest looks and feels like clothing. "No boxey" ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.