Skip to content
My nephew has a medium case of autism
Anon_227716 posted:
I found out on thursday that my adorable nephew has a medium case of autism. Now my brother and sister-in-law are trying to adjust. As his aunt I don't know what to say to my brother and sister-in-law to make them feel better about this and I also don't know how to handle the autism myself. This is very shocking news to my family as we're really close to each other. I don't want to treat my nephew any different than I treat my nieces and nephews that don't have autism. Can anyone that knows how to deal with autism help me? I love my nephew deeply and knowing that he has a disorder doesn't change the way I love him, I just love him more. But I just don't know how to deal with this myself.

Indiaguerita responded:
Welcome to the boards. I'm sorry to hear about your nephew. My five year old was diagnosed two years ago with moderate Autism.

The thing that helped me the most with my sister (Raymond's aunt) was when she asked me what SHE could do to help me or Raymond with his treatment. She offered to babysit for a couple hours...offered to be part of the treatment plan...and offered to go with us to various doctor appointments. Basically...offer your support (as much as you are able to give).

For your nephew...the best thing you can do is to go along with whatever treatment plan your brother and sister-in-law choose for him. He's the same kid...sometimes that will be hard to remember...but as time goes by you'll see that he's still the same awesome little guy.

As for how to deal with your feelings...therapy is the best rememdy. I can't recommend therapy enough.

And the boards will help you, too. If you have questions...we're here.

Keep in touch.

-Laura

Anon_227716 replied to Indiaguerita's response:
Thanks for that Laura. The advice you gave me is the best advice I can get right now. Because my family's trying to deal with what we found out about my adorable nephew. Funny you should say therapy because I'm going to see a couneslor actually for something else. lol!! I do have a question that you can answer or anyone really can answer. I don't understand what the levels of autism are. I'm trying to do my homework here so I can understand it.

mattmom96 replied to Anon_227716's response:
Autism is a spectrum disorder, meaning there are levels. If you look at the numbers, it looks like an umbrella.

There is mild, moderate, and severe. Then there is PDD-NOS, which is really mild and Asperger's.

In the next year or so, all of that will be simplified.

motherofrob replied to mattmom96's response:
Right now you and the family are going thru the grieving process. It takes time. As my sons development pediatrician once told me the diagnosis doesnt change what your son is, this just gives you a vehicle to get the help he needs. I suspect that in a few years the family will look back and say wow look how far he has come.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My son is 12 years old and just now being diagnosed with PDD-NOS... I am doing everything I can to learn about and educate myself about all faucets of...More

Helpful Tips

GREAT SPELL CASTER DR. IYAYI THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX HUSBAND (+2347032617285)
Hello I am ROBERTSON ANGELIA from CALIFORNIA, When I eventually found testimonies about this spell caster DR.IYAYI, how he helped many ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.