Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just Wondering
arussell128 posted:
I had my son young. He has Autism and I was wondering if I in the future decide to have another kid what are the chances that it too will have Autism.

Worried about the future

wezugo34 responded:
I have a son with Autism. I know I'm no expert but I have another son that is without Autism. I have never heard of Autism being genetic for a fact. I'm not even sure anyone has a real answer for the reason the Autism was developed. I dont believe anything anymore.

motherofrob responded:
Its really hard to say. I do believe there is a genetic component. Only thru some personal experiences thou. Maybe with a new dad I guess I would have to say just to be aware that it could happen again. It would be very sad to just not have any more kids on a might be. Man as a woman that is so hard.

Bioguy22 responded:
I think it various based on several factors. It has been suggested that Autism has a genetic component. Generally, males are far more likely to have autism than females, and different genes may be responsible for Aspergers Syndrome in the sexes. I think that it is highly likely that another child might have Autism.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Our son is 6 1/2 years old and was diagnosed with pdd-nos and mood disorder nos at 2 years old. We also have two other boys ages five and four. PDD-NO...More

Helpful Tips

ipods for autism
I am an autism specific teacher and this year have made huge language strides using ipods. Check out this video about my students. ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.