Skip to content
need some advice
Anon_236170 posted:
My husband and I are thinking about having a third child. My son is 4 and has been diagnosed with autism. My daughter is almost 3 and is "normal". What are the chances of the third child being autistic?

Bioguy22 responded:
I am not sure I can answer that based on what information you have said so far. Do you or your husband show any tendencies of autism? My personal case of Asperger's Syndrome is a de novo occurance, since neither of my parents have it. If your 4 year old son is from a similar case, then I think you don't have to worry about having another autistic child. If autistic traits run in the family, then you might have a greater chance of having an autistic child. I am not a geneticist so I don't have the details, but I hope my advice can help.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a loving mother of 2. One is 5 and has developmental problems, the other is 6 months and has well surpassed all of her developmental milestone...More

Helpful Tips

Advice for my Autistic 3 year old
I have a beautiful 3 year old boy, Roy. We found out last year that he is autistic. I could really use help dealing with it. He has 3 other ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 30 found this helpful