Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
autism in the classroom
Anon_237068 posted:
I am a regular ed. kdg. teacher. I have a nonverbal autistic child in my class and I have no training on autism other that what I have looked at online. I need some advice on how to handle behavior. "Joe" sometimes tells me no when asked to come to the carpet or quit roaming the room. (I said nonverbal, but he will say no and echo phrases). If I try to convince him to come, he will throw a tantrum. I try to ignore his behavior as much as I can, but I have 20
other children and sometimes what he is doing is disruptive to them. My question is this: I don't know whether this is part of his autism that he can't help or defiant behavior that I need to deal with. I would also like any advice on how to help him calm down when he is having an episode. He will hit himself in the head and legs with his fists and throw things. I am afraid he will harm himself or another child. He also takes his socks and shoes off and will not put them back on or allow me to put them back on. I don't know if his shoes are too small or what. He becomes very upset when I try to put his shoes on. He is a very sweet boy with a special smile and I want to do the best I can to help him adjust to the classroom and the other children.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My daughter is now 10 at age 6 she was dionosed with Asperger's Syndrome.let me explain a few things first,she was developementally delayed as a b...More

Helpful Tips

It's not a race. Pace yourself.
Do what you need to find answers. But remember to play with your kid. More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.