Skip to content
Helping my 5 year old ASD Son Cope with a move
opusthedopest posted:
Hello, My name is Daniel. I am a single father of an Autistic 5 yr old boy. I currently have a fiance that adores my son and my son adores her. We plan on relocating soon to a new area within the same state but about 30 minutes from our current location.

There are a few questions that I would like advice on. I currently reside and have been with my parents since my son was born (I was a young single father) and they have a close bond.

I wanted to see what was the best way to help my son cope with the move but make it easier for everyone else as well. This is a huge step and I want to make sure that I dont negatively impact my son in any way. I also know the role that my parents have played in his life as well.

This is a hard situation where any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

SweetieNanna responded:
Transitions are very hard for children but more so with Asperger's. I found that taking them to the place the will be going for a visit helps a great deal. Take pictures and let them see the pictures frequently when at home prior to relocating.
As for the grandparents and others who have been a big part of their lives if you have a computer get the small video where they can see and talk to each other via the pc (with your guidance). Many families use this to maintain contact and have visuals of the ones the love and miss.
Most of all be patient and supportive through the transition. Best wishes on your new journey.

opusthedopest replied to SweetieNanna's response:
Thank you Nanna, I am going to use some of that to help my boy adjust

I appreciate it

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Aspergers 2 years ago. I am almost 26 yrs old.

Helpful Tips

THE GREATEST ONLINE SPELL CASTER
Hello friends! My Name is Wendy from America i have had a lot about Dr jaja on his good work, for bringing back lost relationship but i ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.