Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
eating habits
An_241597 posted:
Any suggestions on how to address the never ending fight to try new foods?
My son is starting to gain weight and I am bracing for the 'cold turkey' approach: "This is dinner and we're all eating it". Tried the touching, smelling, taking one bite thing and was not successful.
He loves carbs and anything fried; no fruit or veggies. It's behavioral not sensory.
Thanks for reading!

jaejae76 responded:
This sounds like glutin issues and I would recommend talking to his doctor and maybe trying a glutin free diet for at least 6 months. It will be hard but the research I have seen on gf diets show that the kids will only eat stuff that is high in glutin. May be worth a shot good luck!!!!

breistl3 responded:
If you have medically determined that this is all behavioral then go cold turkey and stick to your rules. He won't die if he misses a meal. You can also try preparing some of his favorite foods in a healthier manner.

Indiaguerita replied to breistl3's response:
I agree completely with Breistl. That's what we do. If you don't like what I cooked for dinner...you're not eating. End of story.

Within five minutes my son is at the table, chowing down...

-LJ

Spotlight: Member Stories

Iam living alone with a husband with aspergers, it is hell. He wont accept he has it have been here 30 years but cant cary on i am so alone. He makes...More

Helpful Tips

Mom of 21 year old with PDD/Aspergers
I know that when my son was young I would have loved to hear this. He is now in a four year college and doing okay. Not great but okay. He ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.