Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I am beginning to think my son is autistic
saralucas2908 posted:
I am the proud mommie of a almost 4 year old boy. He has insane anger for such a little kid. If you tell him something that he doesn't want to hear or do, its a war zone and you better take cover, if he can hit you he will or throw things, scream, hit himself, he has even banged his head off the walls and floor. Everything has to be his way and also he has to know about things before they happen or he is not going to do it. I have to prepare him to even go to his grandpas house. I don't know if this is normal toddler behavior, this is my only child, and his doctor has already stated that he has adhd.

If anyone has any suggestions would greatly be appreciated or anywhere to research more. Thanks!

Indiaguerita responded:
Hey, there! I am the mother of an almost-six-year old with Autism.

Does your son do any of the following behaviors (in addition to the anger issues):

-Play with toys in a "normal" fashion? (Or does he play with odd things such as strings or things that kids wouldn't normally play with.) Does he spin the wheels of his toy cars or hold things very close to his face and just stare at the object?

-Does he play with other children? Ever?

-Does he dislike changes to his routine?

-Does he dislike meeting new people?

-Does he look you in the eyes?

-Does it seem like sometimes he doesn't hear you when you're calling his name?

-Does he have any obsessions: Trains, dinosaurs, politics etc.?

-Did he have any verbal delays? Or did he talk very early?

-Does he walk on his toes?

-Does he flap his hands/arms when he's nervous or excited?

-Does he speak in a monotone (robotic) voice?

-Does he speak very loudly?

-Did he hit his age milestones? (Pointing at objects, etc.)

-Does he only seem to want to eat one type of food and throws massive tantrums if it's not that food?

-Does he not like certain textures/foods/smells/sounds?

-Laura

hablar replied to Indiaguerita's response:
I hope I can help you my son is 16yrs old he has autism while there are many different behavoirs some of your questions fit in the autistic crteria,for instances my son had asmall bear he called poopsie it slept with him it went every where he went he wore it out and I patched it up I sewed clothes on its body so it would not fall apart now this is pretty much the norm for most children but this lasted untill14yrs old he still has poopsie .Ihave found that most children with autism do not speak loudly they are very sensitive to sounds they speak very low. at first my son wanted to eat only afew different things .My son does flap his hands he closes his fist and taps them together very fast I know what he wants when he does this with out him asking and he has invented his very own language and Ican understand it. but he is also very intelligent he is really good at math can read any thing and spell any thing he has been home schooled because he could not tolerate noise and afull class room he would throw up every day .Today he can handle places as long as it is plenty of room and not crowded.He enjoys going places and will talk if need be but will not make eye contact very often.my son as asmaller child preferred not to play with other children but today he has a cousin he plays games with for small periods at a time but he knows when he has had enough he still to this day does not like changes in his routine so Iwarn him what we will be doing so he can adjust and to build strength for that time.Ihope this helps to answer some of your questions.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a mother of two grown sons, have a great daughter-in-law, granddaughter and grandson. I have fibromyalgia and by the early/mid 90's tha...More

Helpful Tips

Mom of 21 year old with PDD/Aspergers
I know that when my son was young I would have loved to hear this. He is now in a four year college and doing okay. Not great but okay. He ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.