Skip to content
2yr old son trouble with sleep he is Autistic
anonimous2 posted:
I am a mom that have a son who recently was diagnosed with Autism. I am learning as much as I can. I feel like I starting over due to my oldest is 18 going to 19 next year, and know I have a beutiful son, however he is Autistic and I am coping with this but I feel that I cannot let my self go into a depression over this and that I need to be strong. I am an Advocate for him that is what my concentration should be. He is receiving early intervention services which is excellent, I have a group of people that is helping us and he is improving. One of the challenges is that it takes him a long time to sleep, he screams, kick, yells, and I am firm when I talk, but even with that is hard.I dont like the idea of medication, he is too young. I would like to know if you know of any remedie for sleep. Thank you

Indiaguerita responded:
I don't believe in medication either for my son. We used Melatonin at night.

Raymond used to scream all night long...for hours. Talk to your doctor about the right dosage for your son's weight and start giving him Melatonin at night about 30 minutes before bed.

Melatonin is what neurotypical people's bodies produce that studies show people with Autism don't produce (so they don't sleep at night).

Also...if you're still unsure about giving him Melatonin...make sure it's not a sensory issue that's making him scream and kick. It could be something as simple as he doesn't like the type of fabric he's wearing...

Or the smell of the pillow he has...

If he's not verbal yet...I would talk to your doctor about giving him the Melatonin. You can buy it in the vitamin section of Wal-Mart.

I give Raymond (who is almost 6) 3 mg a night about an hour before bed and he goes to sleep...sleeps through the night...and wakes up a happy camper.

Hang in there. You're not alone.

-Laura

anonimous2 replied to Indiaguerita's response:
Thank you for your respond, I just got in the webmd, hoping that someone would respond. I will fallow up with your suggestion. Does your child have sudden mood changes and if so how have you learn to cope with that.

Indiaguerita replied to anonimous2's response:
Yes...he does change moods quickly. We practice ABA therapy with him as long as he's not self-injuring.

-LJ

studentmom30 responded:
I understand that my son is 3 and got his diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder and he takes about 4 hours to fall asleep every night. He has been doing this since he was born literally. I called our doctor and she said she didn't want him on medication until he was at least five. So momma just gets to be exhausted all the time.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Our son is 6 1/2 years old and was diagnosed with pdd-nos and mood disorder nos at 2 years old. We also have two other boys ages five and four. PDD-NO...More

Helpful Tips

Advice for my Autistic 3 year old
I have a beautiful 3 year old boy, Roy. We found out last year that he is autistic. I could really use help dealing with it. He has 3 other ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.