Skip to content
I have a 8 year son that has Autism
TMBG2425 posted:
I need help to break a very bad behavior habit. When he eats he will bring it back up. And this has cause weight lost and just all around a bad time for the whole family.I have taken him to the best doctors and they say it's up to me to break him.I just don't know how any more. I have been thinking out side the box so much that it's just getting to me.I need help and if anyone has dealt with this please give me some ideals.
luvmyautisticchild responded:
my son is 8 as well and we have had some similar problems. try to watch for "stuffing" of foods. make him eat small mouthfuls, have him chew his food well- over exaggeration is key-and drinking plenty of water with food. start him off with small portions where his stomache has probably shrank due to the lack of food kept in it. over time, the 'puke it up' reflex will subside but its going to take a long time given how long he has been doing it. i have been working with my son for the last 5 years with this problem and he does great now but still needs reminders and lots of love and encouragement.
LifeWhisperer responded:
I have some experience with this. I have a 7 year old son who used to do this when her was 4 or 5 when I was trying to get him to eat new foods. I believe he was having problems with the texture and/or bulkiness of the food so I tried different ways of presenting the food. He responded to me putting the "offensive" food in one of those thin rolls they are selling now. I think it changed the texture of the food so that it was more palatable to him. They look like round hamburger rolls but are flat. I'm not sure what exactly made him stop - whether it was just time or if what I did helped but I thought I would share.

I can also relate to the frustration you are feeling as my doctor told me it was my fault he was having this problem (this was before he was diagnosed) because I didn't expose him to enough foods early on. I really think if she had referred me to an Occupational Therapist that it would have helped immensely. Good luck! Lisa

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a mother of two grown sons, have a great daughter-in-law, granddaughter and grandson. I have fibromyalgia and by the early/mid 90's tha...More

Helpful Tips

thanks to Dr akobe
My Names is sharon britto,AM from United States. I never believed in love spells or magic until i met this spell caster once when i went to ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.