Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
To ask the pedi or not to ask
eliguns841984 posted:
I have been worried for a while now about a few "quirks" I have noticed in my son, but I can't decide if I'm looking too far into it or if I should talk to the ped. I don't want to bring it up at the doc's office unless I have a strong feeling one way or another because DH is really upset with me for even talking about it. JT is a totally normal, really smart kid, and he is ahead of the other kids in his class. He learned to speak at about 18 months but was immediately conversational and he has always talked like an adult. People were always amazed at how well he speaks and the things he says that are so not typical of a kid his age. He also started to become obsessed with vacuums when he was about a year old. I know most kids have something they really like, but he literally talks about vacuums CONSTANTLY and it is not getting any better. We kept thinking it was a vacuum phase of his life but it has been over two years now and it's only getting worse. He only really wants to play with vacuums and can tell you the name of every brand of vacuum just by looking at the logo, and he memorizes vacuum infomercials verbatim. He just started school in the last few months, and as some of you may remember he really struggled with it more than what is typical. His teachers say he plays with the other kids some, but for the most part he likes to play on his own just maybe near the other kids. These are all listed as symptoms of Asperger's. But some of the other things he does not exhibit, such as a lack of emotion in his speech or difficulty picking up on the changes in people's tone of voice. I can't decide if he is just a normal kid exhibiting a few of the symptoms or if I should call the pedi. WWYD? Does it sound serious enough to face an argument with DH and call the pedi

An_242841 responded:
Next time you are in to your pedi, I think you should bring it up with him/her. I had concerns from the time my son was 18 months old and no one (including my husband) believed me. I finall pushed the issue and was able to get my son tested and a diagnosis. If you have concerns, seek advice.

studentmom30 responded:
Certainly couldn't hurt to talk the pedi about it. Once you know whats going on you are more able to help him in a productive way. My son is 3 and was diagnosed with mild MR and Pervasive Developmental disorder. At first it was surprising but now I am able to get the services he needs. He is in the special education class in pre-k and in speech therapy. He has come such a long way and now that I know for sure what his "quirks" are I able to get the education I need to ensure him the best possible future. Community's such as this are a wonderful tool and are encouraging. Being able to speak with a parent in similiar circumstances is such a blessing. My family is a big support but sometimes its tough because they really don't what I'm going through or that I it's not "just him being spoiled"

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Aspergers 2 years ago. I am almost 26 yrs old.

Helpful Tips

ipods for autism
I am an autism specific teacher and this year have made huge language strides using ipods. Check out this video about my students. ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.