Skip to content
4 year old son-MRI for diagnosis
An_243207 posted:
My 4 year old has ASD. On our first visit to the Pediatric Neurologist, he ordered a MRI with a 24 hour video surveillance EEG. Has anyone gone through this process? Was it helpful with diagnosis, treatment or what? Other doctor friends we have asked seem to think it's superfluous. If his brain is different from a neurotypical child, (which we already know), it won't change the treatment (OT, Speech, ABA). Will it?

luvmyautisticchild responded:
My son has never had any type of brain scan. He is doing well with conventional therapy methods. I also found him the right ones for him. Not all therapists are right for your child. Finding one that he/she interacts well with is key.

LifeWhisperer responded:
My son had an MRI and 8 hour EEG but for reasons other than his ASD. He had a tic disorder and they were ruling out a seizure disorder.

CunniLi responded:
My grandson has never had an MRI. He has OT and Speech therapy 4 times per week. We started our own therapy beginning at age 2. He will be 4 this week. The therapist started coming to the house at about 3 years of age. The ABA was not working for us and we let her go. She was horrible. The occupational and speech therapists are wonderful, patient but firm.

After his last round of immunizations between 18 mos. and 2 years, my grandson had a fever of 103.6 and within 2 days he did not talk, smile, touch, etc. The baby we knew disappeared. After 2 years of intense therapy (family members and therapists) we can hug him, he can hug us, he can say almost 10 to 15 words on his own, he smiles and laughs. We are working hard with his speech (his mom has never heard him call her mommy).

Finding the right therapist for your child is extremely important! Parental or familial interaction is extremely important as well. Use your judgement and whatever is right for your child. So many doctors have varying ideas about diagnostics and treatment for ASD. The best thing you can do for your child is to educate yourself so you can be the best advocate you can be for your child.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i have a now 5yr old daughter that was just classified with autism from the ARD comity. when she was in pre-k she was tested and they said she had a s...More

Helpful Tips

Art and Autism
My 13 year old daughter has Autism and Art has been a wonderful outlet for her. It allows her to express herself in a positive way and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.