Skip to content
Autism, teens and hormones!!!
lorisue1953 posted:
My son is 16. Up until recently he's been a delightful kid...easy going and mild mannered. Suddenly he has become angry, easily agitated and almost impossible to redirect when acting out. He has developed OCD behaviors. Everyday is a struggle with him now and a challenge for our family. We've focused on communication trying to make it as easy as possible for him to let his needs be known in hopes that this would ease his obvious frustration. But his moods have become volatile and unpredictable.

Has anyone gone through this with their autistic child and if so...any suggestions? I feel certain that this is a phase but I'm afraid we may need to look into medication to calm him down. What little focus he had in school is almost gone at this point.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on what must be a common problem for families of kids with autism.

Capuchinmonkey responded:
I find it strange that at this age he could have gone undiagnosed. Remember- he is 16! Those teen years!! To get some peace of mind ask a physician and or school psychologist. I work with special needs kids and that behavior is noticed in kinder.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Our son is 6 1/2 years old and was diagnosed with pdd-nos and mood disorder nos at 2 years old. We also have two other boys ages five and four. PDD-NO...More

Helpful Tips

Mom of 21 year old with PDD/Aspergers
I know that when my son was young I would have loved to hear this. He is now in a four year college and doing okay. Not great but okay. He ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.