Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
World Autism Awareness Day -- Recognize Someone
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Today is World Autism Awareness Day, and April is National Autism Awareness Month. We're asking our community members to visit this thread and recognize someone they know with Autism.

Who in your life has autism? What's something unique about that person?

Join in today and tell your stories.

Anon_160307 responded:
My six year old son has Autism. He is such an amazing and endearing little boy who tries very hard in school and is doing extremely well this year Kindergarten...he has amazed the teachers with what he knows.

One thing that is very unique about him is he is very affectionate towards others, which is not common among autistics. He loves hugs and loves to be cuddled. When he was a baby, he spent so much time in my arms right next to me for most the day and night and I think that has helped bring out his affectionate side as a little boy.

He loves trains, cars, anything with wheels. He has his oddities like rubbing his hands together or rubbing his head and he loves pants! Pants are like a security blanket to him. He cuddles with them at night.

Most important of all, I am VERY PROUD to be his mother! He is my life, without him I do not know how I could go on. He is a very special boy to us and brings so much joy and laughter to our family. I never regret anything about him or his diagnosis. It is unfortunate that he has the diagnosis of autism but we as parents are CONFIDENT that he WILL achieve his goals. We will always be beside him to support in whatever he wants to do in life.

Our little boy and other little boys and girls with autism are a gift to this world! We must support them and encourage them in all they do. I believe each and every person (young and old) with autism contributes something special to the world despite the challenges they face. We must lift them up and let them know they are loved and appreciated each and every day!

jus4you replied to Anon_160307's response:
I must say that I truly relate to what you are saying. My eight-year-old son is on the autism spectrum also. This little boy has changed my life. I thank God all the time for this particular child. He is such a blessing and has brought me so much joy. I don't know what I would do without him.

bj1208 responded:
Hi Olivia -

Both my grandsons, Jami and Colton (6 and 4) are Autistic - they both have different Autisms so it's really unique to see how different their needs are - they are still in diapers - potty training has been difficult for my daughter as she does have epileptic seizures and was diagnosed 2 years ago with MS (very advanced stage).

My daughter will be 25 in August and is my oldest daughter - she so wants to have another baby but the children's hospital here has told her that if she were to have another boy that it's 99% that the boy will be Autistic too and 50/50 if she has a girl.

She is heartbroken as she really does want to have another child but it scared and thus has put that way, way back on the back burner.

I commend my daughter and husband for raising 2 Autistic boys - even though they fight with each other (they have scars all over from the fights) and the tearing up of their bedrooms (carpet, doors etc.,)

they do speak a little - but they cannot tell you their names - you have to hold your finger to your mouth and say: SAY IT and then say what you want them to say and they will repeat - sometimes they can say I LOVE YOU and they do give kisses and love to have hugs and be held.

I wish I could do more for them, babysitting wise, but with my back/leg problems I wear out to easily.

I love my grandboys so much - they are the reason I get out of bed each day.

WEAR BLUE FOR AUTISM MONTH - NOT JUST FOR TODAY - ALSO YOU CAN PUT A BLUE LIGHTBULB ON YOUR FRONT PORCH FOR AT NIGHT TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!!!

thanks everyone~!~~

Headline responded:
My wonderful friend J has Asperger's syndrome. He knows what it's like to be subject to prejudice and unfairness, and he's made it his life's mission to never do that to anyone around him. Plus he's a helluva mechanic and one of a very few people on the planet I'll trust with my car.

My other friend J (different name, same initial) probably has Asperger's syndrome, and his sister A definitely does. They're both musical geniuses; they both sing, and J is a classically trained pianist.

My little basically-niece, age 4, has developmental delays that may or may not put her on the spectrum. One of the things I'm proudest of in my life is that she has chosen me as one of the people she trusts enough to come to with her feelings.

My best friend from high school's five-year-old son has PDD-NOS. The unique thing about him is his rapier wit. The kid is hilarious, just like his parents who are both kooks in the best possible way.

Many of the clients I have worked with are on the spectrum, and to protect their confidentiality, all I can say about them is that they are awesome.

And although he's passed many years ago, my dad - had good diagnostic screenings existed back then - very likely had Asperger's syndrome. He gave me his love of and talent for music, and he threw himself into supporting my love of and talent for writing. And I think Asperger's made him a better dad to me, because while my mom would say things that pretty much any parent says out of anger when I disobeyed ("you're naughty, you're bad, you're a brat, get out of my face"), my dad recognized and accepted and understood that I needed reassurance of the difference between me and my actions. He would actually say out loud to me things like, "I love you, I don't love what you did. You're so much better than what you did." Because my dad was a literal person, he - unlike my mom and unlike many others - never questioned or belittled my need for those literal words.

redschu responded:
my 4 year old grandson is autistic, he will be 5 on the 25th!! - he was also born with both speach and motor apraxia - he is a very happy little man and makes everyone around him happy too! - sign is his main language and his little "girl friend" is the only one he signs at his heart - he has taught all of us a lot

bj1208 replied to Headline's response:
WOW!!! truly amazing story to share - thanks so much and prayers go out to everyone -

Remember not just today, but this whole month WEAR BLUE~~~

Joy

Olivia_WebMD_Staff responded:
These are such beautiful stories! Thank you all so much for sharing them.

Olivia

jenna291 replied to Olivia_WebMD_Staff's response:
My cousin's 23 year old son has autism and he is a wonderful, gentle boy and a fantastic artist! He loves to draw cartoon characters and they are amazing.

He is having a rough time at the moment, lost his 52 year old dad just before Christmas, so appreciate all your prayers and good thoughts.

God Bless all of you who are touched by this.

~ Jenna

Anon_160307 replied to jenna291's response:
Hi Jenna,

He sounds like a fantastic young man! I know how much goes into drawing...I can't draw for the life of me! Your cousin has a fantastic gift.

It is such a tragedy to lose a parent at such a young age. I lost my mother when I was 15 years old. I know you are such a blessing in his life and will help him get through this! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

To All:

I read each and every one of your stories and they were beautiful! It is great to hear stories from others in the same boat. Wishing all of you a very Happy Easter tomorrow.

hablar responded:
MY 16yr old son has autisim.And I adore him Iwas 40yrs old when he was born .Ihave taught my son loving and caring ways we made this a very important part of his teachings even before we was told he was autistic he is easy to teach and well behaved and every one can do the same with their autistic child . Already having a son with cerable palsey and grand male seizures who was 19yrs old when my autistic son was born I knew how to have patients . He loves to built things ,read ,always busy doing something and makes everyone happy he can change his voice to sound like any one he wants to sooooooooooo funny!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full time mom of four and a part time pediatric dietitian at a local health department. I love my children - they are all awesome people. My ol...More

Helpful Tips

Mom of 21 year old with PDD/Aspergers
I know that when my son was young I would have loved to hear this. He is now in a four year college and doing okay. Not great but okay. He ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.