Skip to content
Did your autistic child avoid eye contact as an infant?
JohnInNYC posted:
I am a new parent of 6-week old twins. One twin seems fine, but the other one actively avoids all eye contact. I have been unable to get her to look at me even once for the past 5 weeks. She will not look at my face for even a fraction of a second.

I am wondering if there is any correlation between this behavior and autism, so I figured I'd ask this question here when I could reach people who have autistic children. Does your autistic child avoid eye contact? Did he or she avoid eye contact as an infant a few weeks old? At what age, if any, did regular eye contact begin happening?

I am wondering how concerned I should be about this.

Take the Poll

Did your autistic child actively avoid all eye contact at the age of 6 weeks?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Not at 6 weeks but starting at another age (please elaborate)
vote
View Poll Results

MissRett responded:
I wish I could reach out and hug you. I am a parent of twins and I know how worrisome and difficult this time can be.

To answer your question, one of my twins (recently diagnosed with autism) was very happy and engaged baby. And, regular eye contact started about about 3 months for both of my babies.

Just a thought - could your child be looking elsewhere trying to seek out his/her twin? My children often did that, even as babies.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a mother of two grown sons, have a great daughter-in-law, granddaughter and grandson. I have fibromyalgia and by the early/mid 90's tha...More

Helpful Tips

THANK YOU DR. AYO
my name is Marisa James,i am From GERMANY I never knew I could be happy again cause my life turned in a mess by my ex boy friend named ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.