Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just received diagnosis of aspergers
Yitzzy posted:
I just received a diagnosis of aspergers for my 5 year old. I have forwarded the diagnosis with to her peds doctor. I plan on making an appointment to see what referrals he might have. I am also planning on contacting my insurance to see what therapies they cover for early intervention. She has an IEP and I believe that qualifies her for Medicaid. I am going to be contacting the social security administration to see if she qualifies. (Her school said she was eligible so I assume it would be through SSDI). I am also going to be contacting the local center for autism and related disabilities. I am wondering what other things I need to do to make sure she gets as much early intervention as possible. Her weaknesses are poor overall pragmatic skills: eye contact, topic maintenance; poor oral vocabulary with complex knowledge; poor grammar; and difficulty with transitioning.
Some background: She has been atypical since birth. She failed to latch after birth and had to be bottle fed. She was difficult transitioning from bottle to baby food, but once she transitioned she would eat any food she was fed until about 11 months when she started spitting out flavors she didn't like. She was behind in hitting all of her milestones by at least a couple of months. She didn't walk until 18 months and didn't potty train until she was almost 4 years old. Once she decided to start using the toilet she has done so consistently with very few accidents. Because of her delays she has been in an early intervention since she was 3 years old. When she started she was non-communicative but she quickly got with the classroom routine and has shown steady improvement since that time.
She is an only child but she does crave other kids to play with. She has been a daisy scout for the last year which she has loved. I have her signed up for summer camp at her school to continue socialization during the summer months. Her social skills are very poor and she tends to cry and scream if she doesn't win or doesn't get a turn.
Any information that will steer me in the right direction or help me avoid pitfalls would be appreciated. Thanks.

Spotlight: Member Stories

~*~Art and Autism~*~ My 13 year old daughter has Autism and Art has been a wonderful outlet for her. It allows her to express herself in a positive wa...More

Helpful Tips

ipods for autism
I am an autism specific teacher and this year have made huge language strides using ipods. Check out this video about my students. ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.