Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    loree3636 posted:
    I am a 44 yr old mom of a 21 yr old, i always knew since he was a baby that he was diffrent than most children. No eye contact as a young child very difficult in everything he never watched tv till he was around 66 yrs of age. very high anxiety and little things went right over his head and jokes he never laughted even to this day My problem is that he can't hold a job and it's everybody's fault he has a hard time taking oorders. Ive tried getting him social security but they say hes not bad eenough. My son will not take any medication because of the way it makes him feel.He has never been diagnoised with aspergers but omg it sounds just like him the more i read please someone help me and tell me where to go from here.
    sara0914 responded:
    I have a 21 year old also and he has been diagnosed with high functioning autism and oppositional too. I applied for disabilitiy and they denied it. I then talked to my councelor and she said to try a lawyer who specializes in this. His office told me that i needed to reapply and wait for the letter of denial..At that point it is time to go back and see if i have a case or not..Take what ever reports that are updated and hope you have enough documentation for this.and hope it works out. There are many places that will give a disabled person work experience and also placement if the on the job traiining works out.It does help if the people he is placed with know about the disability ..We have been lucky ..Also go to vocational rehab in your area..That is where you should be able to get the resources for experience in trying to work..It can be done..Just takes a lot of effort..Good Luck..sincerely,Sara

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I'm a mother of two grown sons, have a great daughter-in-law, granddaughter and grandson. I have fibromyalgia and by the early/mid 90's tha...More

    Helpful Tips

    Mom of 21 year old with PDD/Aspergers
    I know that when my son was young I would have loved to hear this. He is now in a four year college and doing okay. Not great but okay. He ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 14 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.