Skip to content
Dealing with the Guilt
Winter1914 posted:
Please tell me how to cope with the guilt I feel from this. And then today NYTs article says that its likely from males having children later, like me. The weight is almost unbearable.

momforDJDA responded:
We don't know what causes asd. We know it cannot possibly be 1 variable. I have a 34 y.o. son w/autism. He is great. Yes, he still has autism, it is part of who he is. But he has a good life, a good job, & friends - real friends. I was 18 y.o. when he was conceived, the dad was 19 y.o. That same dad has another son w/asd. It is not your "fault."

francess84 responded:
Winter, I second momforDJDA. It's not at all your fault. They are still unsure what the causes are. Perhaps there is a gene dormant on one side? Perhaps there were complications at birth? Perhaps thats just the way your child is.

My husband (not autistic) had a dad and mum at the end of their child bearing years.

How severe is your child? Being autistic does not mean he/she won't be able to enjoy life. It may just be different to the way you do. It may not be without stress but an autistic person is a special one and their lives will be good with the right support.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My son and I have Asperger's. My goal is to share our gifts from this, rather than being discouraged about how we "don't fit in".

Helpful Tips

Advice for my Autistic 3 year old
I have a beautiful 3 year old boy, Roy. We found out last year that he is autistic. I could really use help dealing with it. He has 3 other ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 30 found this helpful