Skip to content
Dealing with the Guilt
Winter1914 posted:
Please tell me how to cope with the guilt I feel from this. And then today NYTs article says that its likely from males having children later, like me. The weight is almost unbearable.

momforDJDA responded:
We don't know what causes asd. We know it cannot possibly be 1 variable. I have a 34 y.o. son w/autism. He is great. Yes, he still has autism, it is part of who he is. But he has a good life, a good job, & friends - real friends. I was 18 y.o. when he was conceived, the dad was 19 y.o. That same dad has another son w/asd. It is not your "fault."

francess84 responded:
Winter, I second momforDJDA. It's not at all your fault. They are still unsure what the causes are. Perhaps there is a gene dormant on one side? Perhaps there were complications at birth? Perhaps thats just the way your child is.

My husband (not autistic) had a dad and mum at the end of their child bearing years.

How severe is your child? Being autistic does not mean he/she won't be able to enjoy life. It may just be different to the way you do. It may not be without stress but an autistic person is a special one and their lives will be good with the right support.

Spotlight: Member Stories

In my 4th year after the diagnosis of autism for my son. He's 6, nonverbal, but uses basic ASL to communicate and is learning to write...maybe rea...More

Helpful Tips

ipods for autism
I am an autism specific teacher and this year have made huge language strides using ipods. Check out this video about my students. ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.