Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diagnoised with Autism and started speech and OT.
srr0322 posted:
My son recently started the speech and occupational therapy soon. I am having a hard time with him when we go to these places because he acts fine there and happy but when we arrive home he is hyper, not listening complete oppoisite then when we were at the speech or OT. Also he goes to Early Childhood Special Education class for two and half hours a day and acts completly different there the teacher has told me. The part I am not understanding is how are they helping him if they are not really seeing the true side of him. Is there a way I can show them the true side because I had the teacher do a home visit and he did not act like he usually acts with me and his father.

ProudAspyMom responded:
All children need downtime after hard work- including Autistic children. Your son is required to focus at his therapy lessons and school and that can be very draining for him. Is there an activity he really enjoys that gives him some downtime that he can do right when you get home? You could let him play alone in his room for a bit or watch a favorite video. After he has "reset" he will probably be more attentive.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Aspergers 2 years ago. I am almost 26 yrs old.

Helpful Tips

Just Wondering
For 6 years it was assumed that my daughter had ADD, however none of the meds. ever worked that well. She is now 13 and after some research ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.