Skip to content
Advice Needed
An_250649 posted:
I have been reading the stories and have found it comforting to feel that I'm not the only one who has been going through this. I have been with my partner for seven years and married for neally three. At times he agrees that he has autism but has never been formally diagnosed. The behaviour I am reading is exactly the characteristics that he displays. When I try to communicate when there is an apparent issue in our relationships he can never look me in the eye, gets distracted by a newspaper, television, turns his back to me or simply starts laughing at me. When I ask when we can have a discussion he says he doesn't want too or not now. There never seems to be an appropriate time. This makes me so very upset that I usually start crying and then he proceeds to tell me that I have a mental issue and I need help. Expressing how I am feeling doesn't seem to matter. Most of the time he goes of on a tangent and doesn't let me finish my sentences and simply doesn't seem interested. I simply don't know how I can try and get him to listen. I keep trying harder and that seems to make him more frustrated that he has threatened to leave me which makes me even more upset. I love him very much and want to be with him and just want to make things better. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated...

Spotlight: Member Stories

Our son is 6 1/2 years old and was diagnosed with pdd-nos and mood disorder nos at 2 years old. We also have two other boys ages five and four. PDD-NO...More

Helpful Tips

ipods for autism
I am an autism specific teacher and this year have made huge language strides using ipods. Check out this video about my students. ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful