Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How to get your Medical Provider to sign the paperwork for a handicap placard when you are an adult with autism(aspergers syndrome)
aspie17 posted:
My Medical Provider has said that even though I am in my 40's due to my Autism(Aspergers Syndrome) I have the actions & reactions of a 17 year old instead of someone in their 40's,etc. . I recently went to my Medical Provider for some other health issues related to my Autism(Aspergers Syndrome) & while I was there I decided due to my Autism(Aspergers Syndrome) that I would have my Medical Provider(Doctor) sign the NCDMV Form for me to get a handicap placard as sometimes it is hard for me to walk around in a grocery store after walking on concerate floors(carpet covers the concreate) at work & sometimes due to my Autism(Aspergers Syndrome) I can be walking normal & all of a sudden almost trip over my own feet(so to speak) & so I presented these facts to my Medical Provider(Doctor) & he refused to sign the handicap placard paperwork due to the fact that I am able to walk,etc. & I am thinking about totally changing Medical Providers(Doctors) over this as I have to drive at least 30 minutes or more each way back & forth to the doctor now. I am also thinking about sending an email to someone in goverement about maybe adding Autism(All Levels of Autism) to the handicap placard form.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Aspergers 2 years ago. I am almost 26 yrs old.

Helpful Tips

ipods for autism
I am an autism specific teacher and this year have made huge language strides using ipods. Check out this video about my students. ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.