Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New caregiver
squwerll posted:
I am a grandparent of a 5 year oldbwhonhas been diagnosed autistic. He has no speech and has some aggressioon issues. I ahve not delt with autism before and know very little about it. His parents left him at my house yesterday and said they dont think they can care for him anymore. They live out of state and this is the first time we have met our grandson. Any advice?

francess84 responded:
Omg. What a situation. That poor child.
I'm unsure if you are asking for advice on how to care for him or advice for resources to help his parents cope (which would differ depending on location). I wil respond as thr former so I'm sorry if I misunderstood

The most important thing is routine. Use visual schedules. The aggression will be worse if there is a change that's taken place. Joint compressions can help in a meltdown. Keep calm and if you choose to speak use few, soft words.
To avoid meltdowns, especially with this change, limit visual, auditory and other sensory stimuli. Continue to speak to him like a normal 5yo. Most of them can understand more than you'll know. Just don't expect recognition - that's a reward. Remember that autistic children take what you say literally. If you say you are off to pick up a car, he wilk think you are going to lift s car. You'll slip up with these but just correct yourself.

Consider an ipad. They have heaps of autistic apps on there.

Find him a speech therapist amd occupational therapist asap. Early intervention is very important.

Sorry I can't help morr now but wanted to give you something as you sound like you are in a tough situation

Spotlight: Member Stories

In my 4th year after the diagnosis of autism for my son. He's 6, nonverbal, but uses basic ASL to communicate and is learning to write...maybe rea...More

Helpful Tips

A real love spell caster to get back ex lover: Wife, Husband, Girlfiend, Boyfriend
What a beautiful and wonderful testimony some time things you don't believe can just happen.my name is Adams Trance. Aam 25 years old i got ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.