Skip to content
As of yet, undiagnosed ...
zophy posted:
Over the last several months I have come to the realization that I likely should have been diagnosed with Asperger's as a child. I am now 40 years old, and for most of my life I have struggled because my brain seemed to work differently than every one else's. Though I realized at an early age that my brain functioned differently, I was never able to explain it so that it made sense to anyone else, and my behavior was written of as selfishness, laziness, and mean-ness.

I've struggled with severe anxiety and depression since my early teen years, and always have thought that those were my only problems. It is only since I have been living with another person in the last 6 months ( someone who is very patient, very loving, and also very perceptive) that I have begun to see that the fact that I perceive things incorrectly has been the root of my problems.

My question is that since I will be starting individual therapy (again) in a couple of weeks, would it really be of much use to bring up to my new therapist my suspicion that I may have Aspergers? At 40 I have managed to find a way to function in society - hold down a job (for at least 4 years at a time), have a rewarding and meaningful relationship, and to all outward appearances be relatively functional - Is it really worth it to pursue an Asperger's diagnosis, just so I have a label for the struggles I have been through in my life? I suppose that with a diagnosis my therapist may have some better ways for me to cope. I guess a diagnosis does kind of scare me a bit, and I really wonder if it will make much difference, since so many of the people I interact with on a daily basis don't see Aspergers as a 'real diagnosis'.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Iam living alone with a husband with aspergers, it is hell. He wont accept he has it have been here 30 years but cant cary on i am so alone. He makes...More

Helpful Tips

Art and Autism
My 13 year old daughter has Autism and Art has been a wonderful outlet for her. It allows her to express herself in a positive way and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.