Skip to content
As of yet, undiagnosed ...
zophy posted:
Over the last several months I have come to the realization that I likely should have been diagnosed with Asperger's as a child. I am now 40 years old, and for most of my life I have struggled because my brain seemed to work differently than every one else's. Though I realized at an early age that my brain functioned differently, I was never able to explain it so that it made sense to anyone else, and my behavior was written of as selfishness, laziness, and mean-ness.

I've struggled with severe anxiety and depression since my early teen years, and always have thought that those were my only problems. It is only since I have been living with another person in the last 6 months ( someone who is very patient, very loving, and also very perceptive) that I have begun to see that the fact that I perceive things incorrectly has been the root of my problems.

My question is that since I will be starting individual therapy (again) in a couple of weeks, would it really be of much use to bring up to my new therapist my suspicion that I may have Aspergers? At 40 I have managed to find a way to function in society - hold down a job (for at least 4 years at a time), have a rewarding and meaningful relationship, and to all outward appearances be relatively functional - Is it really worth it to pursue an Asperger's diagnosis, just so I have a label for the struggles I have been through in my life? I suppose that with a diagnosis my therapist may have some better ways for me to cope. I guess a diagnosis does kind of scare me a bit, and I really wonder if it will make much difference, since so many of the people I interact with on a daily basis don't see Aspergers as a 'real diagnosis'.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My son is 12 years old and just now being diagnosed with PDD-NOS... I am doing everything I can to learn about and educate myself about all faucets of...More

Helpful Tips

GREAT SPELL CASTER DR. IYAYI THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX HUSBAND (+2347032617285)
Hello I am ROBERTSON ANGELIA from CALIFORNIA, When I eventually found testimonies about this spell caster DR.IYAYI, how he helped many ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful