Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
hypersensitive hearing
An_256820 posted:
I have high functioning autism. With that i have hypersensitive hearing and sudden loud noises bother me i.e. fireworks, thunder etc. Is there anything I can do to block the noises so i can enjoy firework shows for example.

birdyg1rl responded:
I also have high functioning autism. My hypersensitive senses keep me from going to graduations, fireworks and sometimes even grocery stores. I can spot a person whose been smoking a mile away and if they come near me I choke and have to
get fresh air then I end up leaving. I have tried ear plugs at
fireworks but the sudden white flashes of one will give me lots of anxiety like flickering lights. Being this way since birth, I
would scream and cry till I vomited. Every year growing up I
wrapped myself in a blanket(head and all) then rolled up
under my moms chair whimpering the whole time. To this day
as an adult I don't even think of July 4th as a special day.
People and siblings would always say to "quit being a cry
baby" or they try to scare me under the blanket. If they only
knew! Ignorance......

Spotlight: Member Stories

~*~Art and Autism~*~ My 13 year old daughter has Autism and Art has been a wonderful outlet for her. It allows her to express herself in a positive wa...More

Helpful Tips

Just Wondering
For 6 years it was assumed that my daughter had ADD, however none of the meds. ever worked that well. She is now 13 and after some research ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.