Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Can an Aspie partner be counted on for surgical aftercare or to address needs of aging?
    sxrsxr posted:
    I am 10 years older than my partner of 10 years. He is not an extreme example of someone with Aspergers, but he exhibits most of the classic symptoms. I have recently been diagnosed with a spine injury that will likely mean surgery, and I am finding my partner acts as if I am not injured at all and when I ask for help he either ignores me or puts things off. In fact, when I fell and injured my back as I was lying on the ground crying in pain he told me that my falling was "stupid"! I am afraid that he will be unable to care for me after surgery and as we grow older. We have no children and are both pretty much estranged from our families. Does anyone have any experience that they can share about having to depend on an Aspie after an injury or after becoming limited due to aging?

bdt1805 responded:
    Being an Aspie myself, Understanding other's situations is really hard. It's hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes when you feel like you live on another planet (neurotypical vs autistic). Do you see a counselor with him? One that has experience with Aspergers? Counseling has helped me immensely; and even though I'm not in a relationship I know I can empathize with other people a LOT better than I used to.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a loving mother of 2. One is 5 and has developmental problems, the other is 6 months and has well surpassed all of her developmental milestone...More

Helpful Tips

ipods for autism
    I am an autism specific teacher and this year have made huge language strides using ipods. Check out this video about my students. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    11 of 17 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.