Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pinched Nerve? I need some insight please!!
blb1980 posted:
Ok I have been dealing with an issue with my left arm and left back neck and back shoulder since Feb 3rd. I was engaged in an activity that had me on my elbows for maybe about 10 or 15 minutes. I was also on my knees as well. When I got up I noticed my hand was tingly and it felt like my arm was asleep (all left side) I went to the bathroom and tried to "wake it up" only to my surprise it did not wake up completely. I could not lift my left upper arm at all and I had the tingly sensation in my hand but not too much, just a little. The next day I went to the ER and they diagnosed it as a pinched nerve because they said I had some muscle spasms in my neck. THey gave me a pain shot and an anti-inflammatory shot, some prescriptions and sent me on my way. I have not noticed any improvement at all. I went to the doctor last Wed (the 8th) and expressed my concerns. The doctor told since I haven't give it enough time, to wait another 10 days and if it's not better, to give them a call back. Ok so move up to Friday the 10th and I started having pains in the back left side of my neck, sometimes they felt dull and deep and other times they felt sharp and stabbing. I've even experienced a burning pain too. The dull pain really was uncomfortable. I felt a little queasy from it. The same pain has bee in my left shoulder blade too. The pain is never constant. It comes and goes, perhaps when I move a certain way it makes it come back. I have mobility in my left upper arm but it is very limited. i can only lift it so far and when I do lifit it up, it feels so tight in that area, like something is trying to push it back down. I have also experienced pain in my upper arm area but it's not been as bad as the other areas (neck, shoulder). I tried to braid my daughter's hair Saturday and this simple task was just too much for my arm so I had to stop and do a different hair style that wouldn't use too much of the upper arm muscle. Yesterday, because of the pain, I went back to the doctor who then referred me to an Orthopedic center. The doctor there examined me, had me do some arm movements. He could clearly see that if he lifted my left arm and let go, it would fall down immediately. It's like I don't have the strength to hold my arm up at all. He suggested I try a couple weeks of physical therapy and if that doesn't help my situation, then they'll do tests to see what else they could do for it. I am kind of confused as to why they don't do the test, x ray, imaging of my arm first to see what's going on before the therapy? But I did not argue about it. I am willing to try the physical therapy to see if it works. Because I was not in any accident or had a fall, they don't think it's permanent. I am really worried about this still. Until I can feel some improvement, I am going to worry. I am wondering if anyone, anyone at all has ever experienced anything like this and if so, what was the problem? Since they won't do any tests at this point, i don't know what my problem is. The ER said it could be a pinched nerve but they didn't do any tests either. Prior to this incident happening, I did some strength training a couple days before hand so my arm muscles were quite sore and I told the doctor this but they didn't think the sorenss from that helped me to injure myself when i was on my elbows.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i've been using tramadol for about 6 months now and it's not working for my pain,i have spinal stenosis and i'm looking for a stronger med...More

Helpful Tips

feelin bad
im in constant pain. L5 and 6 were fused almost a yr ago now and ive never been in so much pain in my life.im 38 yrs old. my kids r and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.