Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
CERVICAL SPINAL FUSION
dmw70 posted:
I have multiple cervical spine problems, but my doc says C5-C6 has gotta go. Discectomy & fusion. Can anyone please tell me what to expect? Post-op pain? Time for recovery? Almost 5 years ago I had an L5/S1 anterior fusion. Still have lumbar/right leg pain, so I know recovery from cervical spine surgery won't be as bad as that. I have osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease, stenosis, yadda yadda yadda. I'm only 41. Just met with a surgeon today; he explained the procedure in detail. No surprises. My MRI looks like a horror show. Any positive support from anyone who's had this surgery or knows anyone who's had it, please give me a shout. Also, with the disc pressing so much on my spinal cord I've read that this can cause severe headaches and nausea...which I have. After I heal, can I expect the headaches to stop?

Any advice or words of encouragement would be much appreciated. Thanks!

dltndus responded:
I ve had 2 surgery, 1st C5/6 discectomy& anterior fusion in 2004, C 6/7 and C7/T1 same in 2010. pain in left neck/ shoulder down to the hand came back, but not as bad.. Before the surgery I beg to cut my left shoulder and arm off so it won't be hurt anymore. Now, it hurt. If I could have physical therapy and sling exercise therapy it wouldn't hurt this much at all. I also have spondinolitis- inflamation of the spinal joints. It may be causing the cervical syptoms back.
If the pain is unbearable, you should get surgery.
But if you can fuction most of everyday lift, try these.
If you can find sling exercise therapy near by, try it first.
And Biofeed back therapy to manage the pain psycologiclly too.
If I have the insurance and money, I would get those therapies.
I had the Sling exercise therapy when I went to Seoul, Korea to get medical procedure. The expences are much cheaper yet the medical service and technology are excellant- 2~3rd in Asia. There, I was sent to this, developed by gymnast and carpenter in the Norway, helped me with building muscles to support the spine, correcting posture, way of walking.I had to come back to NJ then to Alabama.
I have't had any pt since back to US, and did excersise and streching the way I was tought by sling therapist, but it's not Sling therapy, and I did not have anyone checking on my posture while I was exercising. After a few months, pain started come back. It's been a year since back to US, and spinal joint pain and nerve pain is so bad that I can't fuction everyday chores now.
If you don't have joint disease like me, try Sling exercise therapy.

dmw70 replied to dltndus's response:
How was your post surgery experience?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I need to know from someone whose spinal fusion didnot work the first time. I am not a smoker, yet my fusion after 2 1/2 years didnnot complete itself...More

Helpful Tips

Fusion not complete after 2 1/2 years
I had a fusion L4/L5/S1. I had seen my doctor 6 mths. after fusion. He told me it was complete, donnot call me unless I need another ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.