Skip to content
Worse pain after spinal fusion surgery
An_246003 posted:
I had an L4-L5 & L5-S1 fused 3 years ago and the pain now is 100 x worse. Can't believe this happened to me I am very depressed lately about this. I cannot provide for myself let alone my wife which is disgraceful. I was in a bad accident and thought what I had prior to surgery was severe pain until after surgery. This pain after the fusion is unbelievable and unbearable. I have to take meds that I cannot stand taking and barely work. The recovery was horrible. I compared it to having a leg cut off or having a large bone in your body completely crushed, it was so bad I was in and out of conciousness after surgery. They didn't know what to do my blood pressure was dangerously high and almost died. Now I want to die because of all this new pain. Good luck whatever you do but try to stay away from fusion..

patientlyenduring responded:
I am very sorry about your distress and pain. Don't feel like you are alone, if that helps. My husband had his 4 lower vertebrae fused together this past May. It's been now just about 6 months. The doctor ASSURED him that he would feel SO much better. That he'd be able to ski and run, etc. Not at ALL how he feels. He is still in constant pain. He feels like something is "wrong". On top of this, he was fired 2 weeks after surgery, even though he hurt his back AT WORK! Workers Comp. denied him, and he is now having to sue for what he should rightfully receive! I am just now beginning to research about outcomes from this type of major surgery...so I came across your post here, and just wanted to offer my "hang in there" encouragement. )

Spotlight: Member Stories

I need to know from someone whose spinal fusion didnot work the first time. I am not a smoker, yet my fusion after 2 1/2 years didnnot complete itself...More

Helpful Tips

Muscle Knots: An ACTUAL Long-Term Fix...under $50
I've had problems with muscle knots for a few years now, and have been continuously experimenting with solutions. The chiropractor failed, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.